Mix Master Sam Driver of PRFFTT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Introduce yourself:

My name is Sam Driver, and I’m from Houston, Texas.  I’m a Russian Language and Literature and Perspectives Major, class of 2013.  I’ve studied Russian and Bulgarian in their respective countries, and I plan to return to both places in the near future for furthered studies.  I’ve DJ-ed in Russia, BC events, frat parties in Texas, as well as events all around Boston.  I love music, Russian literature, art, film, languages, Texas, golf, vodka on ice, cuddling on couches, the 19th century, and accurate weather predictions.

How did you decide to pursue music as a career?

I’ve written and composed music since high school, but I never thought I would really have a chance to pursue it professionally.  So when I moved away from acoustic and folk to electronic music my sophomore year, it was really just an experiment.  The beginning was a lot of trial and error, since I had to teach myself everything, but my previous musical background, coupled with the aid of some good friends along the way, really helped me develop as an artist.  Once Sven and I got together and began working on our first remix, I knew there was something special.  I never thought I would actually get a chance to fulfill a lifelong dream, but when Ellie Goulding (the actual Ellie Goulding) picked up our second song, things began to take shape.

Describe your music in one word?

Intelligent

What does PRFFTT mean? Where did the name come from?

I wish I could fabricate something that would be more interesting, but I’m a bit at a loss for now (laughs).  It’s pretty simple: my middle name is Proffitt, so I just took out the ‘o’ and the ‘i’ to make PRFFTT.  It’s still pronounced “Proffitt” though.

Describe how your music has evolved during your time at BC?

The songs are just as thoughtful as they were from the start, but the level of depth in them now is without compare.  I’m better musically and lyrically, and I just feel like I can express more within each new song.  I’m constantly learning every day.

How did you go from being a college student, to being signed, getting shout outs from Ellie Goulding?

It’s been a pretty wild past few months, going from somewhat unknown, to being signed and doing official releases.  Sven and I work incredibly well together as a team, and our respective musical backgrounds give us the ability to change our sound with every new release, something that we are incredibly proud of.  But it really all boils down to our first big break with Ellie catching our remix of her song.  With that and the backing by an incredible team at BBMG, we were able to take advantage of an incredible opportunity.

What are you working on now? Do you have any tours or performances coming up?

We just released a Taylor Swift remix recently that everyone should check out!  It’s gotten great reviews, and we are really proud of it (not to mention we finished it in less than 48 hours!).  We are working on some collaborations with some great artists and we are focusing on finishing up an EP with four original songs by December.  As for shows, we have quite a few in the works, including a show at BC, and some shows across the nation (hello, San Francisco) but we are looking to go wherever people want us!

Where would you like to see your career take you?

At this point, I really have no idea.  The only thing I know now is that I’m not going to pass up the incredible opportunity that’s been afforded to me.

What do you want people to know about you?

Our music is free.  We’re fun.  We love all our fans, from the OG’s to the newbs, so… Hang out with us, party with us, and most importantly enjoy what we pour our effort into!

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.