Lessons Learned from Finals 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

*Note, some sarcasm was used in the writing of this article. 

I was walking through O’Neill after just having studied for my first final, which was well into the week.  I couldn’t help but look around:  every chair was occupied with a hunchback student vigorously highlighting, underlining, scratch noting, computing, sleeping.  The level of stress in the place was unreal, and I found it absolutely hysterical.  These students all had to fight for a seat.  They had to plan their strategies wisely.  There was much thought that went into all this stress.

People who never open a book all semester all of a sudden find themselves living in O’Neill (and ticking off all the semester-long O’Neill goers).  That’s where lesson #1 comes in:  go to class!  WHAT?!  I’m telling you to go to class?  Novel idea, eh?  You might be shocked, but if you actually attend class, don’t go on Facebook, and remain even the slightest bit involved in the lecture, you’ll actually learn a bunch of cool stuff.  Not to mention even doing 50% of the reading along the way will work wonders…just imagine, a finals season without so much cramming…does it exist?  It does, everyone, it really does.

Next order of business:  Lesson #2:  Stop stressing over classes that shouldn’t be stressed over.  For example, I am a communication major (hollaaaa, maybe that’s why I love finals week.  Kidding.  Or am I?).  Anyways, last semester I took Financial Accounting (don’t ask).  When the exam came around…let’s just say I needed to do well.  It was my last exam, and on the Sunday night before it, I noticed that the more I studied, the more stressed out I became.  Thus, after a whole two hours of studying, at 5:00 PM, I shut my book, and went back to my room to watch some Christmas classics.   And hey, I ended up doing fine!  Lesson learned:  stress never helps anyone…especially when it’s for a class you took just for kicks.  Even if you don’t get straight A’s, believe it or not, companies will still want to hire you!

Perhaps one of the most frustrating parts of finals week was when my beautifully, usually quiet Lower was jam packed at 8:00 AM.  Us morning people don’t appreciate when every table is taken, and even worse when the O’Neill stress levels come to our beautiful place of dining.  Lesson #3:  SHUT THE BOOK 30 MINUTES BEFORE THE TEST!  Really guys.  I’ll give you some time before the test to study…but please, do all of us a favor and shut that book at least 30 minutes before.  It’ll only stress you out more, and let’s be real, if you don’t know it by now…you’re probably just not going to know it. 

Lesson #4:  We are all dramatic pricks.  Perhaps my favorite part of finals 2011, and every finals season for that matter, is the great competition that emerges:  WHOSE FINALS ARE THE MOST HORRIFFIC.  Seriously, get over it.  You’re dumb.

Lesson #5:  Stop complaining, we go to BC!  Hear me out.  Everyone complains about these finals, “Ugh, WORST Month. Of. My. Life.”  But reality-check:  if this is the worst month or week of your life, you are one of the most fortunate human beings to walk this dear planet.  Honestly, we’re lucky to be studying for finals…did you forget?  Those finals you’re studying for are for classes at one of the most beautiful universities in the world that thousands of kids dream of attending.  And did you forget?  Those finals you’re studying for will eventually lead to graduation, which will lead to a fabulous job, which will lead to a secure future.  Buck up, BC!

And now, I bid you ado.  And although finals are a ways away, maybe take some of these lessons learned from finals 2011 and start mentally preparing yourself for finals 2012 right now.  God knows all you stress-ballers need it…December was just too much.

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.