Game of Throne Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Everyone loves to develop their own theories about what will happen on Game of Thrones, but none of them really matter because George R.R. Martin does what he wants. If anything, the more popular a theory becomes, I suspect the less likely the author or show creators will use it. The appeal of Games of Thrones is undoubtedly its unpredictability, yet all people seem to want to do is predict what will happen.

I have decided to follow suite and make my predictions for Season 5 public on Her Campus. Let it be known that I have never read the book series and my memory is foggy in regards to the earlier seasons, so my ideas may be laughable for some more well-versed. I also don’t know much about the history of Westeros or its folklore, though I know everyone is trying to figure out who is the three headed dragon (or something of that sorts). My last disclaimer is that this only takes into account the first episode of the fifth season.

Brandon Stark

Bran is about to learn how to “fly”. Presumably, this means he’s going to be taught how to visit others in their dreams and other such capabilities. Whether he is intended to replace the raven, or just be his right- hand man, is still unclear. Most likely he will just be chilling in the tree and learning some magic this episode. I doubt he’ll be a major plot driver, though maybe he’ll learn to visit his siblings in his dreams.

Brienne of Tarth and Podrick

Brienne and Podrick are searching for Sansa. While that might not happen for a while, it’s the only thing Brienne really has to do for the time being. She’s not happy about the situation and is particularly annoyed at Podrick following her around. In the first episode of the fifth season she laments on how she doesn’t want to be a leader. All she hopes is to be able to fight for a good king, but all the kings are dead or monsters. My prediction, while out there, is that innocent Podrick is unknowingly the illegitimate child of King Baratheon. He and Brienne will find out, this season or a later one, and then the leader will happily become the follower she always wanted to be. 

Tyrion Lannister and Daenerys Targaryen

These two are inevitably meeting up, though it may take Tyrion an episode or two to warm up to the idea. Daenerys needs a strong political figure to help her cool down the simmering elite of Meereen, and Tyrion fits the bill. Meanwhile, Daenerys can focus on reasserting her power over the dragons and work on her military strategy. Long term, I think Daenerys and her dragons will play an integral role in fighting the white walkers, though I don’t think she will sit on the iron throne. She’s a fan favorite, and this is a foreboding fact due to Martin’s tendency to off likable characters before their day in the sun. Her track record is also not proving she is a particularly adept leader, and her brain power may be better used for diplomatic and military endeavors. 

Arya Stark

This big bad Beyoncé is off to become the perfect assassin. Determined but seemingly unassuming, no one will see her coming. Yet unlike Bran, who will most likely not play a huge role this season, Arya will. It’s seemingly the season for the women to shine, so Arya will undoubtedly help to push the plot along. My prediction is that, one way or another, she will reveal her identity to Tyrion or Daenerys and join them (after a period of mistrust). She’ll find a place in Daenerys’s army, and commit her personal vendettas on the side when the company makes their grand entrance in Westeros.

Jon Snow and Stannis Baratheon

The wildlings have two choices right now: they can fight and die or they can serve and live. Which they will choose, I honestly don’t know, but I’m hoping for the latter. The Boltons in Winterfell need to go, though I don’t like Stannis Baratheon much more. Jon Snow will most likely stay at the wall to help the straggler wildlings or what have you, and maybe even his long lost uncle will turn up.  But he’ll eventually be forced back into the political arena in one way or another.

Cersei Lannister and Margaery Tyrell

The premier’s first scene is a flashback to Cersei visiting a witch’s house to have her fortune told. Let me tell you, it’s not looking too bright. First, the witch claims Cersei will be queen for a time until she is cast down by a younger, more beautiful individual. Secondly, it is revealed that all three of Cersei’s children will wear “shrouds of gold” (aka they gonna die). Margaery and her mother are of course the biggest contenders for committing both of these, though I believe they are only attempting the latter.

Margaery is lined up to marry Cersei’s youngest son, Tommen. She will become the queen regardless of the fate of Cersei, so as long as Cersei isn’t trying to kill her, there’s no immediate reason for Margaery to kill Cersei. But ultimately Margaery wants Tommen dead because who wants to share the throne with a prepubescent youth? Myrcella, Cersei’s youngest child who is currently in Dorne, isn’t safe either. But that’s for later.

As for Cersei’s demise, I believe that will be caused by cousin Lancel, a recent convert to the Sparrows, a fanatical religious group. Lancel helped Cersei murder the old king, and it appears he is feeling guilty about this. He invites her to join the Sparrows, stating that they can bestow mercy or even justice if needed. She declines the invitation, which is her big mistake. The invitation was Lancel’s bestowment of mercy, but since that was declined, the justice will come next.

Sansa Stark and Petyr Baelish (Little Finger)

These two may be on the run, but Little Finger also has a mission. As history has proven, Lord Baelish never acts without political motivation. While he claims his desire for Sansa is motivated by his previous love for her mother, it can’t be the only reason to involve himself with her. Lord Baelish is in cahoots with the Tyrells, off to kill Myrcella in Dorne. His rational? Once all the Lannister kids are six feet under, nothing stands in the way of Tyrellian rule. She can’t do this alone though, and thus employs the help of Lord Baelish. If he can off Myrcella and she can off Tommen, the two can wed. Lord Baelish gets his red head, Maergaery gets an adult husband, and both get to rule. It’s a win win situation until someone stabs the other in the back.

Sources:

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-cersei-fortune-teller-scene-2015-4

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.