Freshmen Partying 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For freshmen, nightlife at Boston College can be summed up in two words: the Mods. You hear the name everywhere – while eating lunch in the Rat, while walking to classes, or even in the hallway as we sit in our dorms (pretending not to eavesdrop). The Mods are everywhere. For seniors, they are the epitome of their final year at BC, but for freshmen, the Mods are an outlet to make a name for oneself in a sea of unfamiliar faces.

So now the question is, how do you get in, stay in, and get yourself a return invite? Listen closely, ladies:

Now you ask: how do you even find the party to start with? Listen to what’s around you! Wait for rumors of parties to go around, ask to tag along with the girl on your floor (who seems to have somewhere to go every weekend!), or go with the girl whose brother is a senior and his friends are having party. Don’t appear overeager but instead genuinely excited, and you should find a party in no time. Speaking of time, don’t show up early. Generally nothing in the college party scene starts before 10:30 pm. So take a quick power nap and get ready for what awaits you!

Upon arriving at the party where it feels like it’s a hundred degrees and is packed with people, please don’t rush to be “that girl.” You know whom I’m talking about. The girl who comes in with the tightest skirt she could shimmy into, grabs the first Solo cup she lays eyes on, and begins to dance with every guy there. She’s “that girl” that everybody is whispering about without her knowing, and who still has no clue that she has taken this negative spotlight. Yes, act confident, be social, meet new people, and pretend like you belong, but never take it too far. You’re only a freshman, new to the scene, so keep it in control!

For those of you who feel that being 3 inches taller than everyone else is important – don’t. Skip the high heels and wedges! You will only have ever-painful reminders during the week of you truly stupid decision to wear those new stilettos! They may look great, but you have a bus to catch to get home Newton girls…

To sum up the correct way to go about partying, follow this simple rule: make connections. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone new. Remember the feeling goes both ways when you encounter a new face. It’s amazing what you have in common with people if you just muster up some courage, dig deep, and talk. Most seniors love freshmen: they’re a new face on campus, they come with high energy, and they are enjoying one of the best years of their college experience. Meeting the right people and making those connections can be your “in” to next weekend’s party or could even jumpstart a great friendship.

And finally, the big one: don’t look like a freshman. Getting so intoxicated that your friends have to take you back to Newton by piggyback is a huge no-no, as is being the girl who makes out with random guys all night. Yuck! Subtlety is sometimes a beautiful thing. If you can’t remember the face and/or name of the guy from last night, a red flag should be going off in your head.

Remember ladies: keep it cool, keep it classy, and always keep your friends by your side. The party scene at BC can be difficult to navigate at first, like all the new and exciting things you will experience your freshman year. There will be hundreds of parties, many more countless events to attend, and endless people to meet these next four years so don’t rush, but live it up.

Photo Sources:
http://latindancevibe.com/special_events

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.