Five Easy Ways to: Be Happy on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The most romantic day of the year, or the single girl’s biggest struggle?  Worth celebrating, or just a make-believe holiday?  Valentine’s Day has always been a topic of controversy.  Regardless, the day devoted to love is here to stay.  Instead of stressing out over plans, or lack thereof, follow these simple tips to make sure you have a happy Valentine’s Day.

Dress the Part

Whether you’re hyped up for the day, or you feel like your counting down to doomsday, there is always a smart way to dress.  If you want to get festive, toss on your favorite red or pink ensemble and get ready to spread some cheer.  If you’re on the opposite side of the spectrum, don some cozy sweats and trudge on.

Enjoy the Food

Everyone knows the actual purpose of Valentine’s Day is to eat chocolate.  Duh.  So do yourself a favor and take the time to indulge your sweet tooth!  (P.S.- Buying sweets for yourself and on a budget?  Don’t forget that Valentine’s Day candy will be on sale at CVS the next day!)

Flowers

It doesn’t matter if they’re from a special cutie, a best friend, your dad, or even yourself.  Flowers aren’t an every day thing, so go for it!  Plus, if there are any bitter feelings floating around out there, having some show stopping red roses of your own will help smooth things over.  Bottom line: find a way to get some flowers.  You deserve it. 

Do Something

If you have a certain someone in mind, make sure you either go on a date or do something cute.  If you’re flying solo, grab some friends and plan a fun Anti-Valentine’s Day party.  These plans could include anything from a fancy dinner to a night on the couch with copious amounts of wine and cozy sweats.

Spend Time with People Who Make You Happy

The easiest way to make sure you have a happy Valentine’s Day is to spend time with people who bring out the best in you.  If you have a significant other, take this time to show some appreciation.  If Cupid hasn’t struck you quite yet, toss a little extra love to some great friends in your life.  Holidays can be stressful, but if you’re with the right people, you’re sure to have a great time!

Photo Sources:

http://cdn4.blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/files/2012/02/14-.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ujg1RsN3fW4/UPyUeO5N3QI/AAAAAAAAARA/5ndmBIkeFwE/s1600/healthy-snack_1.jpg

http://allensflowers.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/lajolla4.jpeg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.