Everything I’ve Ever Needed to Know Was Taught to Me By Mr. Feeny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As children of the 90’s, we were fortunate enough to grow up with television shows that featured things other than Jersey nightclubs, teen moms, and housewives.  There is no better example of the pure genius that is 90’s
television than Boy Meets World.  In it’s seven seasons, seven years, and 158 episodes, we grew up with Cory, Shawn, Topanga, Eric and the rest of the Boy Meets World cast.  We saw them go through middle school, high school, and college while we went through similar transitions ourselves.  We were alongside them for the tears, the laughs, the heartbreak, and the enduring love.  We modeled our friendships on the unbreakable bond between Cory and Shawn, we wished we had an older brother as crazy and spontaneous as Eric, and we secretly wished to find true love in our best friend like Cory and Topanga.  We wished we were friends with them, and more importantly, we wished we had such a great neighbor and teacher as Mr. Feeny.  Mr. Feeny guided the gangs’ moral, academic, and social development throughout the show with his unrivaled advice and snippets of superb wisdom.  Watching the series made me wish my parents had named me something as unique as Topanga, but more importantly, it made me wish I had a mentor like Mr. Feeny (Fa-fa-fa-fa-feeny! Feenay! Fee-hee-heenay!).  But you know what?  Just watching the show, Mr. Feeny taught me all I’ve ever needed to know in life. 

1. “I believe that when you find love, you hold on to it and cherish it because there is nothing finer, and it may never come again.”
    Finally think you’ve found the one?  Make sure you treasure them!  But more importantly, don’t take for granted any of the people you have in your life!

2. “Often times the things you complain most about are the things you care most about. Unfortunately, we don’t always know that until it is too late.” 
    If you love someone – tell him or her!  Life is too short to live in regret!

3. “A hero is someone who does the right thing when the right thing isn’t the easy thing to do.”
    Never take the easy route – challenge yourself, because it is easy to do the right thing that takes no effort.

4. “You see it’s not enough to leave school and just desire to succeed in this cold cruel world because then you simply become apart of it, you must also have the desire to change it.”
    Be a man and woman for others!  If you feel strongly about an issue, take a stance.  Want to change the things you see wrong in the world?  Be proactive!

5. “Education is not about obscure facts or little test scores.  Education is about the overall
    affect of years of slow absorption of concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving. The whole process is so grand and all encompassing, that it really can’t be threatened by the occasional late night no-hitter.” 

While education is extremely important, it’s not always about the things you learn in textbooks.  Learning occurs everyday, whether it is with talking to friends or attending events on campus.  In the grand scheme of things, taking advantage of little once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, like seeing your favorite band that’s playing a one-night gig in Boston or watching a baseball game with your father, in the case of Mr. Feeny, is not going to be a detriment to your education.

6. “Unfortunately we live in a society where they tell us we have to look a certain way, so we’re all under pressure to live up to unrealistic expectations.” 
    Remember, they’re called unrealistic expectations for a reason.  No one is perfect, so embrace your imperfections.

7. “Friendship, for example, is a real gift. It’s given with no expectations and no gratitude is needed, not between real friends.”
    There is no greater thing in life than a wonderful friendship.  Friendships should not seem like work; they should flow seamlessly without effort.  Real friends stand up for each other and are always there, without expecting things in return. 

8. “If you let people’s perception of you dictate your behavior, you will never grow as a person. But if you leave yourself open to experience, despite what others think, then you will learn and grow.”
    Never act how you believe people want you to act.  You can only grow if you are true to yourself.

9. “Believe in yourselves.  Dream.  Try.  Do good.”
    Mr. Feeny’s final advice to Cory, Shawn, Topanga, and Eric that brings together everything he has ever taught them, and yes, I still cry any time I watch the end scene.

Bridgid O'Brien is a senior at Boston College studying psychology. She has been a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Team for the past three years and has been Irish Dancing for fourteen years. She works as a fifth grade teacher's aide in one of the urban Boston middle schools and interned this summer at Massachusetts General Hospital working with children with autism and Asperger's disorder. Bridgid loves working with children and plans to continue onto graduate school for clinical psychology. Bridgid is excited for the year ahead and so excited for what the future holds!
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.