Don’t Call it A Comeback: Jean Skirts and Chokers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The 90’s was an iconic time. Boy Meets World taught me how to adult and *NSYNC was “tearin’ up my heart”.  The 90’s was not a decade known for the best fashion. Crimped hair and scrunchies, need I say more? That was the look. And it was not a good one.

So, do my eyes deceive me when I see tattered jean skirts and chokers around campus? In case it wasn’t obvious from 90’s sitcoms, those trends are not something that teens should be subjected to ever again. Never have I watched Full House and thought, “Wow, I wish I could dress like Kimmy Gibbler.”

These jean skirts and chokers may have been the statement piece of that decade, but definitely not this decade. We must learn from our past fashion faux pas and accept that crotch-less denim and chokers were fails. Comebacks are for the memorable and the missed and, unfortunately, it is not time for this revival.

If you want to relive the 90’s, bring back Saved by the Bell or Forest Gump, not the wardrobe from Clueless. If you want to wear jewelry that’s “all the rage”, go to Francesca’s. If you want to wear jean skirts, well, you should probably just reevaluate.

Sources:

http://media.al.com/opinion/photo/stop-trying-to-make-fetch-happen-c2af1…

http://memecrunch.com/meme/RDB3/you-got-it-dude/image.jpg

mio1_1280.jpg
I am a freshman at Boston College pursuing a double-major in Political Science and Communications. Although some might say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I thrive off of it. As a new writer to the Her Campus BC team, I am excited to provide social and political criticisms that will, hopefully, give attention to the words left unsaid.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.