Columbus Day Weekend Fun!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Columbus Day weekend is coming up fast (it’s October 11-13!), and like most BC students, you’ll probably be stuck on campus that weekend. With your extra day off, it would be a waste to spend the whole weekend sitting in your room and watching Netflix (though that is a viable option!), so call up an Uber and hit the road for some classic fall fun!

Apple Picking

My favorite part of fall is apple picking, and it always surprises me when my friends who aren’t from New England say they’ve never been. Why not show all those people what they’ve been missing and take them to an orchard for the day?! There are tons of apple orchards within driving distance of campus (check out this link for some options), and they’re a fun, inexpensive way to spend the day. Plus, you’ll get to pick pumpkins to decorate, spend a beautiful day outside, and eat all kinds of delicious food, like cider donuts and caramel apples. When you get back, you can make an apple pie with your fresh apples!

Spooky World

Spooky World is only about an hour drive from campus in Litchfield, New Hampshire, but the haunted theme park is like a completely different world! Spooky World houses five separate haunted attractions, as well as an arcade, go-karts, mini golf, batting cages, and other carnival staples. The general carnival attractions open at 3pm on Friday and noon on Saturday and Sunday, and the haunted attractions open at 7pm, making Spooky World a nighttime adventure. This theme park may not be a Mod party, but it’s a fun and different way to spend a weekend night!

Duck Tours

Most people, including the Massachusetts residents among us, have never been on a Duck Tour before. You’ve probably seen them if you follow Boston sports; they’re the funny looking car-boats that teams ride in their victory parades. Duck Boats are pretty special vehicles: they can drive on the streets of Boston, and also in the Charles River. Plus, the drivers are super knowledgeable about the city and are always really funny. You even get a chance to drive the boat in the water!

Topsfield Fair

The Topsfield Fairgrounds are about a 45-minute drive from campus, and you could spend the entire day riding the rides, petting the animals in the petting zoo, eating the delicious food, and watching the shows! The Topsfield Fair is basically a giant carnival. Columbus Day weekend is the closing weekend of the fair, so there will be lots of excitement and special events, including arts and crafts, concerts, horse and goat shows, and a magician. The Fair is open almost all day, so you can spend as much or as little time there as you want!

Outlet Shopping

Who doesn’t love shopping? It’s even better when you can save tons of money at the outlets! There are a few different options near campus, including Wrenthem, MA and Merrimack, NH. Both are packed with stores and restaurant options to keep you occupied all day. A big perk to the Merrimack outlets is that there isn’t any sales tax in New Hampshire! A bit further away are the outlets in Kittery, ME.

Spend your Columbus Day weekend doing something a bit unconventional outside of the BC Bubble!

Photo Sources

http://www.bostonducktours.com/tour.aspx

http://northshorekid.com/event/topsfield-fair

BC Senior, Future High School Teacher. Lover of laughing, Diet Coke, friends and family, pandas, peanut butter, and the BCMB.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.