College Freshmen, Listen Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Note: This is slightly satirical… and slightly sassy.

I’ll admit it… often times I’m referred to as the “mom” of my friend group. I always give advice whenever prompted, look out for everyone, and try my best to keep everything moving smoothly. With this in mind, you can therefore imagine how stressed I was when my younger sister, Alex, headed to college this fall semester as an incoming freshman at another university. As the “big sister”, I felt a sense of responsibility to not only tell her the “do’s” of being a college freshman but also the big “don’ts”. I like to think after two years of college that I somewhat have this down, so to the newly formed Class of 2018, at whatever college you are currently attending, listen up:

Advice #1: Believe that the Freshman 15 is 100% real because guess what? It is.

Freshman year is like one big nonstop eat-a-thon. Instead of having an endless refrigerator like at home, you now have college dining halls where with just a simple swipe of your ID card, the opportunities of food are endless. You will be tempted to go for the bad stuff and you know what I’m talking about: the pizza, fries, soda, ice cream, etc. because no one is standing over your shoulder telling you not to. And before you try this excuse… no, your clothes did not shrink. The Freshman 15 is real. Avoid it.

Advice #2: Get it out of your head that freshman college boys are a lot different than high school boys.

Sorry to break hearts now but college boys are, at the end of the day, high school seniors plus a few months. Their maturity levels have not drastically altered in just one quick summer and at the end of the day, they are still the same general guys. Don’t get me wrong, you will meet some awesome, mature guys… but don’t assume it is every guy you meet because chances are, he’s no more mature than your ex-boyfriend from sophomore year of high school who thought McDonald’s was an acceptable date location.

Advice #3: It may not be the coolest thing but get your butt to class.

College is great, the people are amazing, and the buildings are pretty but at the end of the day, you’re here to get a degree, and eventually a job. Unfortunately your diploma will not advertise “Met Everybody in Their Grade”, “Champion Beer Pong Player”, or “Star Intramural Volleyball Player”, but it will show what you worked academically for. This starts with going to class. And yes, that does include your 200+ person ‘Introduction to _____’ (fill in the blank) lecture. It doesn’t matter if there’s five or 500 students, whether there are pop quizzes or not, or whether you even want to take the course, just do you and your parents’ wallets a favor and go to class.

Advice #4: Remember that cliché Coco Chanel quote “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous”.

Personally I hate how much this quote is repeated on every Tumblr page known to mankind but let’s be honest, it’s true. Classy is the key here. There is no reason to be the trainwreck girl every weekend with the too tight skirt, who is stumbling about down the hallway. I don’t have to tell you how silly looks but also how dangerous it can be. Watch your drink at all times, stick with your friends, keep tally of your amount of drinks, and stay in control. It’s as simple as that. That way you’re guaranteed the good time without the next morning being filled with regret, a massive headache, and the revelation that you slept in last night’s outfit.

Above all, just like I told my sister, have fun, meet amazing people, find something you love, and give it all you got. Take my “mom” advice to heart and you’ll be cruising college, Class of 2018, in no time- I promise.

Photo Sources:

http://jokideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Funny-ecard-Classy-and-elegant.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/161312826-bored-college-students-asleep-on-desks-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=SrWUM9DgdaxO8nwpTBitU%2Fg9CB7wJbeuMTgebdhOU0k%3D

http://sites.jmu.edu/molloyfall13/wp-content/blogs.dir/319/files/2013/11/Freshman-15-Scale.jpg

http://images.universityherald.com/data/images/full/3124/welcome-week.jpg?w=600

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.