Campus Celebs: Campus School Volunteers of Boston College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Meet our Campus School Volunteers of Boston College!

Questions answered by E-board Secretary, Gina Iozzo

Basics: CSVBC

Year Established: 1996

Members: ~200

Role on Campus: We work to forge the relationship between BC undergraduates and the students at the Campus School.

Location: Campion Hall

Tell us about what you do: Volunteers bring BC students into the classroom through our three buddy programs: Classroom, Literacy, and Eagle Eyes. We also work to promote awareness and money for school through fundraising events, newsletters, and social media.

What events on campus are sponsored and put on by CSVBC? We put on many events. These include the golf tournament in May which is held at a local golf course. It is one of our biggest fundraisers. During this event, we recruit lots of local corporate sponsors and bring in players from around the region. We hold a broom hockey tournament in the spring at Conte. There is also an acapella show in the winter at which all of BC’s acapella groups come together to put on a show that benefits the campus school. Last year, we even had Fleebag come to the event. We also organize a marathon team to sponsor BC students in running local half and full marathons.

What is the favorite event for most of the volunteers? Spring semi-formal, which is basically prom for the older Campus School students. Volunteers let the students pick the theme and the volunteers then spend the year organizing the special night. It is held in the Yawkey Center and the students, families, as well as all the BC volunteers, attend a night filled with dinner, dancing, and fun.

If there were one thing you would want the BC students to know about CSVBC, what would it be? I would want them to know that this volunteer organization is more than just a student club, it’s a family. Everyone involved with CSVBC is there because they share a strong and unique passion for serving others. But more importantly than the service we provide, it has become an opportunity to find ourselves through relationships with the students and the other volunteers.

Best advice if people would like to get involved: Email the officers at campusschoolvolunteers@gmail.com or stop by the school at any time, there is always someone there happy to show you around!

Photo Sources:

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/2014/05/08/campus%20school%…

http://csvolunteers.wix.com/csvbc#!Semi Pic.jpg/zoom/mainPage/image_8es

http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/about/news/2011/SpiritDay/_jcr_content/ne…

Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.