A Boston Collegiate’s Guide to Beating the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So, it’s February. We’ve survived two major snow storms and our first few weeks back at school in this cold weather. Although it seems like winter will go on forever, spring is getting closer and closer each day! College goes by way too fast, and we need to make the most out of being here even though we are all freezing our butts off every time we walk outside. As a Boston native who admittedly hates almost everything about winter, I’ve come up with some ways to beat the winter blues. There is so much to do around Boston and sitting inside watching Netflix all day isn’t going to cut it. Here are my suggestions to beating the winter blues this season:

Visit a friend at a neighboring school.

Boston is arguably the best college city. Many of us have friends here who go to neighboring schools. Why not get off campus and catch up with a friend from another school? I love visiting my friends at other schools. It is such a great change of pace and it’s always fun to go out and meet different people than you are used to seeing every weekend.

Treat yourself to a mani pedi with friends.

We all need a break from homework and the daily grind of being a college student. Head to your local nail salon. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did!

Try a new restaurant.

Boston is filled with great restaurants. Grab your friends and try a restaurant you haven’t been to before! Trying new things is proven to boost your spirits. My favorite restaurants in Boston are all easily accessible by the T:

Max Brenner: get the chocolate fondue with your friends (and #eatfortheinsta).

Cafeteria Boston my go-to lunch spot for a grilled cheese and tomato soup. The parmesan fries are amazing too!

Thinking Cup hands-down the best coffee shop in Boston. Treat yourself to a rose macaroon. Its cozy atmosphere makes it a cute place to meet a friend.

Stephanie’s on Newbury the perfect spot for Sunday brunch.

Try a new fitness class.

Staying active and trying new things are musts for beating the winter blues. Try a yoga class, spin class, zumba class, or barre class. You’ll be happy you did! I find that exercising with others is always more motivating. Get off the elliptical and try something different. Staying active will improve your mood and your sleep. 

Sources:

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-2179687-stock-footage-stressed-mi…

Emily is a junior Communications major at Boston College. She loves all things health & wellness and is very involved on campus. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, she is also involved in Women in Business and Student Admissions Program, and she is a Barbour Brand Ambassador. In her spare time, she can be found catching up on the news via the obscene number of publications she checks each day, sweating it out at SoulCycle, or enjoying a meal with friends.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.