5 Great Books to Read on a Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As an English major, it’s no secret that I love to read. Any book and all books are my kind of literature. One of the best times to read, though, is when it’s cold and snowy outside but warm and cozy inside. I love the feeling of curling up in my bed under the covers with a cup of steaming tea and a great book. And since it’s been snowing a lot this winter, I thought I’d share some of the best books, in my opinion, to read during a snow day.

1. Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

This novel is perfect for when there’s a blizzard outside because it is three separate stories that all take place during an epic snow storm. The three story lines somewhat connect by the end of the book, but they’re all perfect as individual stories anyway. In the three stories, there is a hair mishap in which the girl cuts her hair and dyes it pink, a couple boys plow their truck into a giant snowbank, and a girl and a strange boy share a nice kiss after meeting in an IHOP. It’s great because each story line is quirky and cute in its own way. They are relatively short so you’ll probably be done by the time it has stopped snowing and can then go play outside.

2. The Girl On the Train by Paula Hawkins

I read this over Christmas break and, I have to say, I could not put it down. Basically, it’s about a woman, Rachel, who has a serious drinking problem and is not over her ex-husband of two years Each day, while riding the train, she looks at the houses around their old house, which is now just his house. One day, she sees something at one of his neighbor’s houses, and then soon after the woman she sees has gone missing. She becomes involved in the investigation, but is such an unreliable character that it’s difficult to believe anything. It’s thrilling because it will keep you guessing the entire time. If you want to spend the whole snow day on the couch or in your bed, this is the book for you because you will not put it down until you find out the truth. Also, it was recently made into a film, so if it’s still snowing by the time you finish the book, you might as well turn on the TV and watch the movie.

3. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Honestly, this is probably my new favorite book. (It was originally written in Swedish, so the story takes place in Sweden.) The story centers around a grumpy old man named… you guessed it… Ove. He is pretty much like that one friend that you don’t like but still always hang out with because you know there’s just something special about them hidden inside. The story goes back and forth from the present days of Ove’s life to his childhood and young adult life. With each chapter, you get a new insight as to why Ove is the way he is. He is OCD and unpleasant but has a beautiful heart hidden behind his tough exterior. This book will make you laugh and it will most definitely make you cry. So, grab that cup of tea and a box of tissues and settle down for a wonderful read.

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is a classic work of literature, but don’t discount it just because it was written in 1813. This beautifully written piece of writing is both funny and heartwarming, and if you like happy endings then you’ll appreciate this. It centers around the five Bennet sisters but mainly on Elizabeth and Jane Bennet. It features an obnoxious mother (hands up if you can relate), a somewhat uninterested father, and various despicable characters. Pride and Prejudice has it all on top of being wonderfully written. And, it is not terribly long so if you have the extra time on a snow day, decide to sit down and read this. It will not disappoint. (Plus you’re not being tested on it so it’s purely for pleasure.)

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This one is a bit longer, but if it’s a blizzard outside you may want to take the time to pick this book up. With Death as the narrator, this novel is darker than the others but just as amazing and beautiful. The descriptions are fantastic and the characters feel like your family by the end. It takes place in Nazi occupied Germany, however it is somewhat different since it centers around a young girl and her family who hide a Jewish man. The young girl, Liesel Meminger, is naive and innocent to what is going on around her, but is smart enough to know that it’s not a good time. The narrator, Death, intertwines Liesel’s story with the tales of destruction and death that he sees going on around the country. While not an entirely uplifting novel, if you’re looking for a wonderful novel to read, this is definitely worth it. This book was also made into a movie and it is very good, so if you still have time and it’s maybe gotten a bit dark outside, pop this film on.

No matter if you read one or all of the books on this list, I guarantee you will not be disappointed because each one is artfully written and intricately described. I know many people like to say “I don’t read,” but odds are if you clicked on this article you have at least some appreciation for books. Or you’ve exhausted all other options of entertainment during the snowstorm and you’re desperate for something to do. Either way, these books are fantastic. They’re all very different from one another, too, so depending on your mood, you may go for a tear-jerker or a light hearted laugh or a romance. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! There’s snow way you’ll be able to put them down.

Photo Sources:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/07/02/46/0702469cee30794097330aa73eb19950.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81pQoNpy7JL.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514958Ss-9L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781476738024/a-man-called-ove-9781476738024_hr.jpg

http://covers.feedbooks.net/book/52.jpg?size=large&t=1446740099

http://blog.usmalibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/book_thief.jpg

Alexandra is a Senior History major with an English minor at Boston College who can always be found procrastinating by reading books or watching Netflix. She is known for making puns so bad that not even her friends laugh at them (but she always does). Her favorite ice cream flavor is Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Favorite movies include When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poets Society, and The Princess Bride.
Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.