12 Ways to Stay Safe (On and Off Campus)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This week, I had the opportunity to speak with Lieutenant Santiago and Sergeant Cadogan, who work with the Boston College Police Department.  They were kind enough to share some tips for being safe on and off campus.  These are all things you’ve heard a million times, but it’s important to remember that most crime is about having the OPPORTUNITY to act.  Here are some ways to avoid risky situations!

PARTIES

We all want to go out and have a good time, especially when the weather is this nice.  Here are a few easy ways to make sure that you go home safe.

1.     Watch your drink. You’ve heard it before, but most date rape drugs are both odorless and colorless—you’ll never know it’s there.  The most important thing is to know what your drink is, who mixed it, and where it is from.  If you can’t determine those things then just ditch the drink.  Sip on a beer that you opened yourself, or mix your own drinks before you go out.

2.     Stick together.  Don’t leave your friends alone, and don’t leave a party by yourself to walk home.  Guys joke that we follow each other to the bathroom, but that is a good thing.  If your friend seems like she’s out of it, take control of the situation and make sure she gets home.  Friendship is about looking out for each other and keeping an eye out for your girls, especially when alcohol is involved.

3.     Keep your phone charged.  Especially when you are out at night, or out in the city alone—think of it as your lifeline.

4.     Pay attention to what you’re wearing.  Heels may make you look really hot, but if you encounter a threat and need to make a quick escape, it’s going to be awfully hard to run. 

5.     Keep an eye on the exits.  It’s a good rule for any situation.  When you walk in a bar or a house party, take note of your exit strategies.  You never know if you’ll need to use them, but it’s better to have a general idea of where they are in case of an emergency.

6.     Watch your alcohol intake. It’s truly awful that the world we live in is a place where women can be so easily taken advantage of, but that’s the way things are, especially on college campuses.  You’re out, you’re having fun, and that one last shot seems like a really good idea, but it’s important to be careful of the way you are being perceived.  You don’t want to appear vulnerable, and you definitely don’t want to feel out of control of your personal safety.  There are a lot of great people who will help you get home, but you have to be aware that that is not always the case.  Be careful of the kind of attention you draw to yourself.

[pagebreak]

GENERAL SAFETY:

The best thing that you can be is confident and aware.  If you exude confidence by standing tall, holding your head up, and walking with a purpose, you make yourself less of a target.  Attackers are looking for people that are going to be easy to hurt—and confidence is the biggest deterrent. 

1.     Keep one headphone in, and one headphone out when listening to music.  That way you can be more aware of your surroundings, and still listen to your jams.   People who are walking or running alone and totally in the zone are less able to detect problems in their environment.

2.     Pretend to be on your phone or call a friend.  It sounds super cheesy, but if an attacker or suspicious person thinks that the person you are on the phone with will notice a disturbance, or is expecting you home in a few minutes, they will lose the opportunity to move in.

3.     If you are walking alone, keep one key in your hand.  It seems like a good idea to put them between all your fingers, but they are less stable that way.  Hold one firmly in place so that you have better control should you need to use it as a weapon/

4.     If you think you are being followed, don’t go home.  Walk or drive to a lit public .

5.     Plug the BCPD number into your phone.  The emergency number is 617-552-4444, and they can respond faster than 9-1-1 in many cases.

6.     Don’t walk alone at night.  It’s cliché, but why put yourself in a precarious situation when you don’t have to?  Walk with friends home from the library or call Eagle Escort (617-552-8888).  They will walk you home until 4am on weekend nights!  If they aren’t available and you are uncomfortable, just call the BCPD and they’ll help you get home!

RESOURCES TO CHECK OUT:

Image Sources:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1236253_520247128051808_717733657_n.jpg

Her Campus Photo Library

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum