Thanksgiving Musings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Article by Rachel Minkovitz ’19

Hey there, Bobcats. Welcome back from Thanksgiving break, and best of luck on exams- we’re so close to winter break! Thanksgiving and other holidays can be really fun times, filled with good food, friends and/or family, and love, but for many people, Thanksgiving may not have been so wonderful. Holidays can be especially stressful for some, and for those of us who often experience stress during these times, it’s extremely important to take care of ourselves. With that in mind, I reflected a bit on the things for which I’m so very thankful, and I decided to share an excerpt of my list.

I’m thankful for political satire shows. Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah, Larry Wilmore, John Oliver, Jon Stewart, and Samantha Bee made this past year much more bearable, and they also encouraged me to invest more interest in current events and politics. I know that being informed makes me a better citizen, voter, debater, and person, and part of the credit for me researching politics and world news goes to them.

I’m thankful for books and music for being a source of comfort, motivation, and love. I’ve had them both in my life longer than I can remember, and I’ve always been able to rely on them to act as a reflection and validation of my feelings and situations. In this world, which can make you feel so lonely and isolated, books and music can be powerful forces of change and connection, and they’re ones for which I’m very grateful.

My dog, Zoey, is another point on this list; she’s an almost 4 year old Labradoodle who acts like she’s 4 months old. She’s hyper and curious and social and loud and I love her to bits. After begging my parents for 15 years to get a dog, I finally got my wish and I’m extremely thankful to have Zoey in my life. We really are a lot alike, and she’s a great reminder of the type of unwavering love I want to demonstrate for others. Animals are, in general, amazing creatures, and I’m very thankful they exist in all the forms that they do.

I’m so thankful for my family and all of their support; I know I’m lucky to have them. I’m not the easiest person to deal with, especially when I’ve just woken up and really only want to go back to sleep, but my family has dealt with me for 19 years and counting, and I’m definitely grateful for that. We have our disagreements and conflicting personalities, but I love them despite all of our differences.

I’m beyond grateful for my friends. You all mean the world to me, and I’m so thankful to have you all in my life. People say that friends are the family you choose, and I agree with that. My friends are my family, too, even if we aren’t all related by genetics. They’ve supported me through some of the roughest moments in my life and I’m so incredibly lucky to know the amazing people I do and to be able to call them my friends.

Many people who know me know that I went to a summer camp called Interlochen Center for the Arts in northern Michigan when I was in high school and I absolutely adored it. Interlochen changed and saved my life, and I will always love it and consider it my home. The memories I made there and the friendships I formed there are some of my most prized possessions and even though I don’t speak with my Interlochen friends nearly as much as I’d like, they’re never far from my thoughts. Interlochen entered my life when I needed it most, and I will be forever grateful to have had the privilege of going there. Before Interlochen, I never truly had the experience of belonging somewhere and I will likely never have the words to describe how much I love Interlochen and why I call it my home (ironic, since I went there for creative writing). I can honestly say that I owe so much of my life to Interlochen, and it’s never far from my thoughts. Displayed on the back of the Kresge Auditorium stage is a message that, in my opinion and experience, describes Interlochen perfectly: “Dedicated To The Promotion Of World Friendship Through The Universal Language Of The Arts.” Interlochen taught me a huge amount about what it means to me to be a writer, an artist, a person, and a friend. I can’t fully express my gratitude and love for Interlochen, and I am so incredibly grateful that I’ve had this wonderful place and the amazing people I met there in my life. Interlochen, I love you. Thank you for saving me, and thank you for being there for me. You give me hope, you give me happiness, and above all, you give me love. Thank you.