One Week Until Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Gala is fast upon us. One week from today on Saturday, March 26, 2016, the Gray Cage and Alumni Gym will be filled with radiant students, guests, professors and faculty for the 27th Annual All-College Gala. The theme for this year’s gala is “Bates Walk of Fame.” The ladies and gentlemen of Bates College are preparing for this forthcoming joyous occasion, with many preemptive thoughts and actions.

1.     Wondering what to wear

What does the theme “Bates Walk of Fame” even suggests? It’s a semi-formal event… but I don’t want to arrive too showy or too casual. Where’s the balance?

2.     Hoping your dress/suit arrives on time

If you’re thinking about ordering your Gala outfit online, make sure it arrives before Friday, March 25th!

3.     Spending too much on gala clothing/accessories

I have to order this dress in different sizes and colors, just in case…

4.     Thinking whether or not to bring a date

It is absolutely not necessary to have a date for Gala, but guests are certainly welcome and it is a very fun occasion to show off the Bates spirit to guests.

5.     Deciding on eating healthier and working out

Lots of pictures will be taken, so I have to look my absolute best. Salad bar and Merrill Gym, it’s been a while, but here I come…

6.     Reminiscing on how much this preparation reminds you of your high school prom

Nail polish colors, eye makeup YouTube tutorials, lipstick shades! It’s so overwhelming!

7.     Remembering how much fun you had previous years and how it will be even better this year

It’s an amazing event for the entire Bates community to celebrate their accomplishments and achievements for the year (especially surviving March madness). And for seniors, it’s a bittersweet final gathering with your entire Bates family—ranging from your peers, professors, teammates, faculty members, coworkers, etc…. Remember to capture the moment, but also remember to sing, dance, and live up the moment where you’re surrounded by loved ones in an enchanting environment. And ladies, it’s okay, you don’t have to walk through the pain; most heels come off by the end of the night.