Campus Cutie: Catie Spaulding ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
This week Her Campus Bates is pleased to feature Catie Spaulding as Campus Cutie! Check out my interview to learn why this first year from Maryland is truly the whole package!

Name: Catie Spaulding

Class year: 2019

Hometown: Huntingtown, Maryland 

Relationship status? I have the sweetest boyfriend who goes to college in Maryland. 

** Cue all the  men crying **

What are you studying (or thinking about studying) at Bates? I’m still exploring all of my options, but I really like Psychology so far. 

What are you involved in on campus? I joined so many clubs in the beginning of the year (classic freshman move, I know), but I love writing for Her Campus, playing club field hockey, and I really want to get more involved with Community Links and the Outing Club this semester!

What are some of your hobbies? Fishing, boating, searching for shark’s teeth on beaches back home, playing with puppies, beach chillin’, running, creating Snapchat masterpieces, and eating loads of ice cream (mint ice cream to be exact). 

Something we don’t know about you? I’m the youngest of five with four older, crazy brothers. 

If you could fly anywhere tomorrow, where would you go and why? I would most definitely fly to Cape Town, South Africa. I had a dream about surfing there the other day, so now I’m really obsessed. I also really want to swim with sharks, and I’ve heard that’s the best place to go. 

Biggest pet peeve? I come from a Navy family, so anytime I hear disrespect for the military my skin crawls. Also, just when people aren’t kind. “Kind people are my kinda people.” 

What is your spirit animal? A manatee. I really relate to manatees on so many levels. Eating, swimming, chillin’, being majestic…what more could you want? Greatest moment:

Favorite childhood memory? I have a ton, but my favorite memories deal with goofing around at my brother’s lacrosse games. My friend and I both had brothers on the Hopkins lax team, so we would always go on adventures in different stadiums. One time we were able to sneak into a really nice stadium box, and when our moms found out, we just explained that we were looking for food. Typical. 

What’s your theme song? It’s a Great Day to Be Alive by Travis Tritt. The album cover is incredible as well. 

Life motto? Keep smiling. 

Catie, thanks for being you and making Bates great!