This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ah the 90s. Decade of some of the best sitcoms, worst fashion trends, and enough boybands and Spice Girls wannabes to fill our walkmen for days – it’s the decade we hate to admit we all love. Although I was only 5 when they ended, some of my favorite memories are coming home from school and watching reruns of my fav 90s shows – Full House, Fresh Prince, Sabrina the Teenage Witch… the possibilities are endless. Even now, I can never resist a good Sex and the City or Friends throwback and admire the ridiculous, albeit very much in style, fashion trends (#tbt to Rachel Green’s overalls and infamous haircut, circa 1994.) If we’re being honest, as much as we talk shit about the 90s (we’re sooo much more fashionable and tech savvy nowadays), this past year the 90s have definitely started to come back in style. How many women do you see walking around in high waisted shorts? What about overalls? Platform sandals? (Topshop’s got this one covered) Denim on denim? CROP TOPS?! If you don’t believe me, check every recent fashion magazine and all your favorite online shopping sites. There are some 90s trends, though, that haven’t made a reappearance… probably because everyone realized how straight up horrible they were. With fashion you never know, but I for one reeeaaallly hope these trends are gone for good.

Butterfly Clips and Faux Cornrows

Why?

Convertible Pants

Repeat after me: the only time it is acceptable to zip the legs off of your pants, is if you are hiking/camping and have only the clothes on your back. If you are in literally any other situation, UNACCEPTABLE. It is baffling to me that the above pair of pants actually exist.

Giant Hats with Flowers

Tia and Tamara taking it one step further with that denim tho. 

Light Up Sneakers

Ok like I kind of get it on kids? Cause like that’s fun for them, I guess. But on adults… no words. Skechers and LA Gear have me feeling some type of way.

BTW, this trend actually has been brought back. Topshop and Ashish released these last spring at London Fashion Week:

Just so you know, being on the runway (or featured on Lily Allen’s instagram) does not make it cool. DON’T BELIEVE THE HYPE. I refuse to support. If you choose to condemn yourself to fashion hell though, they’re purchasable here. It’s cool, no judgement (read: so much judgement.)

Stick-On Earrings

Parents won’t let you get your ears peirced? TAKE THAT MOM!

Lee’s Carpenter Jeans

oooooh ~trendy~

Brown Lip Liner with Light Lipstick

?????????????????????????????

Button Downs in Atrocious Prints

Most likely worn with dugarees with one strap undone. I’m looking at you Fresh Prince

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.