Senior Saturday: Haley Schoeck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Senior: Haley Schoeck

School: Barnard College

Major: Double major in English and Film Studies 

1. What made you decide to come to Barnard? 

I actually did the pre college program at Barnard the summer between my junior and senior year of high school, and I was sold! The idea of a women’s college had been intriguing to me, and after experiencing it for a few weeks I knew Barnard was for me. I think as the years have gone by I’ve continually grown to appreciate Barnard’s unique position in the world of higher education, and particularly how Barnard has helped me grow as both a student and a leader.

2. What is one of your proudest moments as a Barnard student?

I’d have to say its when I was the chair of the NSOP Committee (New Student Orientation Program) and out of the blue, I got an email from President Spar asking if I would help facilitate her participation in the Ice Bucket Challenge. I’m proud to say I’m probably the only Barnard student who has ever poured a bucket of ice water on DSpar. 

3. What are some of the extracurriculars in which you have been most involved over the last few years?

I was the chair of the orientation committee for both Fall and Spring orientation, I’ve worked on several student life and title IX advisory boards, I was the Undersecretary General for Public Relations for CIRCA’s college circuit Model UN conference, and I spent three terms as Social Chair and just recently finished my term as President of Sigma Delta Tau. 

4. What is your favorite study spot on campus?

Actually, Tom’s. I know it sounds weird but there is just the right amount of background noise and its usually pretty empty in the middle of the day. Thy also don’t charge you for refills on coffee which is the best deal around! 

5. What’s the best class you’ve taken thus far and why?

Its really hard to choose just one! 

6. Who is your hero here at school?

I think President Spar is an all around Barnard hero. For someone like me who is interested in pursuing a career in college administration, it has been incredibly formative to have a college President who is interested in listening to student’s voices and who is whole heartedly invested in the success of Barnard students. She has been an incredible role model for me in my career path. 

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

I plan to have finished my masters in Post Secondary and Higher Education Theory and will be pursuing my PhD in a similar field while working in Undergraduate Student Engagement. I hope to still be here in New York City! 

8. If you had to give one piece of advice to the incoming freshmen, what would it be?

Get involved! You’re here because you’re brilliant, but don’t forget to be bold too. You’re here to get an incredible education, but there is more to that than just being in the classroom and the library.  At Barnard you have so many opportunities to develop strong leadership skills that will be integral to your success in the future. Find organizations that you’re passionate about and invest yourself in them. Theres no such thing as dedicating too much time to the things you care about.