Restaurant Week in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. No, we don’t mean the holiday season. We’re talking about NYC Restaurant Week. Before you make your reservation for this week, read up on our favorite spots.

Burke & Wills

Located on the Upper West Side, this old time Australian outback-influenced bistro has joined in on the NYC Restaurant Week fun this year with a delicious three course lunch. The roasted scallops, grapefruit, rainbow baby beets — complemented by a tart orange zest glaze — make for a delectable appetizer.  Although an acquired taste, the Kangaroo meat pie remains an Australian staple and is a must when it comes to main course options.  For dessert, select the homemade doughnuts filled with Nutella and doused in powdered sugar. By the time you leave this open, airy restaurant, you will certainly feel as though you have spared no expense or calorie.  

ABC Kitchen

Restaurant Week or not, ABC Kitchen remains a NYC favorite.  Upon stepping into the venue, you’ll feel as though you’ve walked into your “Dream House” Pinterest Board.  After grounding yourself, the waiter will present you with a menu that will make your wildest dreams come true.  For starters, the sashimi with ginger vinaigrette is a must.  When it comes to the main course, the egg ravioli and rabbit ragu will make you feel as though you’ve died and gone to heaven.  Finally, the dessert — a toffee ice cream smothered in fudge and sprinkled with kettle corn — will satisfy you salty and sweet cravings alike.

Pó’s regular menu offers a wide variety of delicious options, each of which is priced fairly reasonably.  The Gnocchi delle Telefano with fresh mozzarella and tomato and basil sauce remains a favorite, but can be ordered any day of the year. Therefore, it’s not absolutely necessary to rush to this spot by Friday.  

Cafe Boulud

Fine dining does not even begin to describe the experience of having a meal at Il Boulud.  The servers not only present complimentary appetizers and desserts, but also exude an unparalleled dedication to service. Go for the arugula salad followed by the Scottish Salmon with sauce maltaise. Then, for dessert, opt for the restaurant’s homemade madeleines.  Each course was impeccable and, above all, how food should taste.

A Voce

Located in Columbus Circle’s Time Warner Building, A Voce offers not only exquisite views, but also dining.  The starter, a salmon sashimi, feels like butter melting in your mouth.  The main course, pork coupled with sweet potato and onions, feels like the perfect remedy for a cold New York City day.  To top off the meal, the chef brings out a coconut panna cotta with passion fruit gelee’ and poached pineapple that tastes as though the kitchen pulled the fruit straight off the tree.