Recent Barnard Alumnae Killing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

There’s no shadow that is quite so equal parts inspiring and daunting to occupy as the one that follows the illustrious women who came before you at Barnard. Of course, we are all so well acquainted with the Lauren Grahams, the Martha Stewarts, and the Greta Gerwigs of our alumnae network that we’re nearly inured to their lofty achievements. However, many alumane of our wonderful college are quietly being awesome just barely outside the glow of the limelight that seems to follow many of Barnard’s most famous alumnae. Here’s a far from comprehensive list of some of these amazing women. 

Sadie Dupuis ’10– Vocalist of band Speedy Ortiz and solo artist under the name Sad13.

Katherine Boo ’88– Investigative journalist and author who has received a National Book Award, a Macarthur Genius Grant, and a Pulitzer Prize.

Chelsea Peretti ’00– Comedian and Actress most famous for her role as Gina Linetti on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Edwidge Danticat ’90– Novelist and short story writer who has won National Book Awards and a Macarthur Genius Grant, among many other distinctions. 

Ariane Daguin ’80– Founder of D’Artagnan foods, spearheading ethical and sustainable meats distributuon practices in the US.

Paula Grammas ’76– Leader in groundbreaking, unconventional Alzheimer’s research.

Courtney E. Martin ’02– Author and Co-Editor of Feministing.com, recipient of Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics.

Suzanne Vega ’81– High-profile singer-songwriter whose songs “Luka” and “Tom’s Diner” have topped charts.

Maria Hinojosa ’84– Journalist who both anchors for and produces “Latino USA” of NPR.