NONVIO: The Revolutionary Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Non-violence is rarely given a voice. We give a respectful nod to the concept on MLK day but that’s it. We talk with disappointment and disgust of the violence that is all too pervasive in society but that is where the conversation ends. I should admit that I made my friends plan “meditation time” into our spring break trip and they often refer to me as Zoga. But don’t worry, what I am about to say isn’t too out there and definitely doesn’t require you to stand on your head.

Over the last few months, I have begun to incorporate nonviolence into my practice. According to Rajshree Patel, violence is the failure to see life in ourselves or in others. Shaming ourselves when we make a mistake, abusing drugs/alcohol, gossiping about others…these are all acts of violence. But we don’t recognize them as such. And more importantly, we fail to realize that these private moments of violence scale up into the tragedies that make the news. By allowing violence into our lives, we contribute to a culture that allows, if not endorses violence. How often are kids teased for walking away from fight? We receive the message that violence is honorable, brave, associated with strength and power. And every year the U.S. suffers 10 million acts of reported crimes.

So where do we go from here? We stand up. Through our commitments and actions we give a voice to nonviolence. We restore pride in non-violence. We join Non-Violence: No Higher Calling, a growing movement to inspire one billion living examples of the power of non-violence.

Barnard is a community of women who care and who know the power behind their words and actions. And so I am asking the Barnard community to join me in going NONVIO. Make a personally meaningful pledge to non-violence, not for forever, just for a day, week or a month. Can we make nonviolence part of our vocabulary and repertoire? Can we make a change and help to raise awareness and shift consciousness?

This year as I sit at graduation I won’t hear from the COO of Facebook or the President of the United States. And I am ok with that because as I sit in my cap and gown, I will listen to Leymah Gbowee, a woman who used the power of nonviolence to help end the Liberian civil war. And I don’t think there is anyone more fitting to address the Barnard class of 2013. According to President Spar, “Ms. Gbowee’s leadership helped galvanize an entire nation’s women to stand together against violence and end a civil war, and she continues to work tirelessly to eradicate violence against women worldwide.” I think its only fitting that Barnard goes NONVIO before she arrives, don’t you?

NONVIO Launch Event

FREE ADMISSION

Saturday March 30th at 2pm

Dag Hammarskjold Plaza

47TH between 1st & 2nd avenue

Learn more & make a pledge

Like NONVIO on Facebook