Kyley Knoerzer: One Hot MaMa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Every March, audience members gather in Lerner Black Box Theater to watch the MaMa Project, an offshoot show by the Orchesis Dance Group. The performance, choreographed by one or two upperclassmen, intimately explores an idea or set of ideas, and gives dancers and choreographers a chance to delve deeper into an artistic creation. This year, Jaclyn Hoffman and Kyley Knoerzer, CC ’14 and BC ’13 respectively, have spent endless hours choreographing and directing “In This Here Game”, an evening length work looking at the underpinnings of secrets, lies, and deception.  Although Hoffman is studying abroad this semester, Her Campus Barnard sat own with Knoerzer to hear about the joys and the struggles of creating a whole work she can call her own.

Describe your cast in 3 words

Fun, creative, beautiful

What has been the best part of choreographing the mama project? 

Making new friends.  This was the best part last year–and the reason I decided to choreograph this year–and is still the best part.

What has been the most stressful part? 

The most stressful part is that this process is very demanding on everyone’s bodies and so many of my dancers are nursing injuries or illnesses.  I worry about them a lot, because I do push them very hard, and it’s distressing to see them in pain.

Do you prefer dancing or choreographing? 

I love to dance because it’s a wonderful way to express emotion–not to mention burn calories!  But I think that my passion truly lies in choreography.

What do you think people can get out of seeing the mama project? Do you think they can relate? 

I think that certainly everyone can relate but in their own individual way.  The Project is very much about individual experiences and this definitely comes through in each dancer’s unique style.  I tried not to curb them and I hope that the audience will find emotion and meaning in the movement.

Any surprises, or secrets ;), you can tell ha about the show? 

This group of dancers surprises me everyday. Aside from enough talent to surprise anyone, we do have some super sexy men do some pretty shocking things.

Click here for the event! 

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard