How to Make your Barnard Dorm a Haven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Livin’ the dorm life ain’t easy. At the very longest, you’ll be occupying the space for a mere academic year, so settling down and feeling at home can be a bit difficult. Not to mention, Barnard dorms exist on extremes: they’re either sterile and severe (Sulz) or so old and used you feel as if all your predecessors are also your roomies (600’s). Plus, if you’re an underclassman, you more than likely have to share your short-lived home with another student. The bitter irony of Barnard offering any coursework on Virginia Woolf’s essay “A Room of One’s Own” never fails to escape me. Here are some tips to setting up a space that you, despite it all, will be relieved to come home to .

Wall art

There are more than likely lots and lots of pin holes from the people who occupied your room before you. Get yourself some wall art so that you won’t be constantly reminded that you’re just one person in a parade of Barnard students who circulates the dorm room you’re living in. If you’re willing to shell out for a tapestry or for prints, wonderful. However, you can also buy a bunch of awesome, cheap postcards or buy a yard of fabric for a cheaper tapestry for the same effect .

Lighting

The fluorescence is not your friend. Whether you buy yourself a lamp or ye olde string of holiday lights, be sure that you’ve provided yourself with a lighting alternative when the ceiling lights are just too blinding. Also, I’m not telling you to get a nice smelling candle, because those are prohibited in Barnard dorms, but I’m also not not telling you.

Plants

This one’s easy. There’s a flower shop on 112th that offers an array of succulents. These resilient little plants are living organisms that will survive even the most negligent of owners. Plus, they’re cute! Water them once a month and marvel at your ability to sustain life.

Bedding

A comfy bed is the crux of a good dorm experience. Don’t make your room synonymous with sleepless nights. Get yourself a mattress pad to put over the less-than-comfy mattress Barnard provides and a down comforter for the winters so you can sleep the night through.

Carpet

The tiles of the floors of Barnard’s dorms are far too high school-classroom-like to be conducive to a relaxing space. If you have a roommate, talk with her about going in for a soft carpet to cover up the cold, cold floor. It’s a great way to finish off your perfect, cozy hangout space!