How To: The Coffee Date Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Well, it’s official – it’s fall in New York, and the cold is here to stay. There’s a chill in the air, and with the holiday season just around the corner, something else is too: romance! All we want for Christmas is someone to snuggle up with, and for all my single ladies out there there’s just one dilemma… We have to meet him first. The beginning of a new relationship centers around those first few dates, where you get to know each other and figure out if its right. And what better way to do this than over a hot cup of coffee in your favorite cafe, away from the bitter wind.

Dressing for a coffee date can be difficult, because you want to send the right message; you need to be casual, but not sloppy, put-together, but not overdressed, and –most importantly- your outfit should represent your personal style, and give the other person an idea of who you are, before your conversation even starts.

One great way to do this is with a casual dress, such a sweater or wrap dress, and a pair of simple boots. Pick a dress in a comfortable material, like wool, cotton, or jersey, and opt for a color that you really love and complements your complexion– wearing your favorite color is an easy way to present your personality right off the bat. Avoid overdressing by pairing the dress with flat shoes, as heels can elevate it into dinner-date territory. For accessories, opt for minimal jewelry such as stud earrings and a simple pendant necklace, to avoid looking too flashy. Belting a dress at the waist is also a great way to accessorize, and it will show off your figure without being overtly sexy. 

If dresses aren’t your thing, go for a sweater and jeans instead. A colored cardigan or pullover with a warm scarf is weather-appropriate, and easy to dress up or down as needed. Try heeled boots with this look, to balance out the casualty of the jeans. To keep the look polished, match with accessories to pull the whole ensemble together; a leather belt, satchel, watch, and simple jewelry will keep you comfy-chic.

Another way to look put-together but not overdone is with a simple blouse or button down and jeans. This look is easy, stylish, and says, “I don’t try too hard, but I still look great no matter what.” To balance out the simplicity of the look, incorporate a pop of color or print into your outfit, like a leopard print belt or brightly colored bag. Ballet flats or loafers are a perfect complement to this ensemble, or a pair of leather or suede booties. 

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.
Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard