This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Well collegiettes, it’s about that time again: Homecoming is this weekend! Right now (read: after the hell that is midterms) nothing sounds better than spending all day Saturday with my BFFs and hyping up the CU football team. But let’s be real–everybody knows that half of homecoming are the parties and pictures, so I’m def not trying to look fugly while doing it. That means pulling off the perfect school spirit outfit and hairstyle, while still being “sporty” and “casual”… which is harder than it sounds – especially while wearing a baseball cap. You don’t wanna look like a total slob, but you’re outdoors and probably galavanting from party to party, so you can’t be too put-together either. The golden rule is look like you #wokeuplikethis, even though you didn’t (although that’s pretty much always the motto), which is why I’ve brought you a few of my fav homecoming hairsyles.

The Baseball Cap

Nothing says spirit like a CU baseball cap! That was my thinking last year when I wore one, and then realized I look bald in all the photos bc my hair was tucked into a tiny bun underneath my hat… def not the move. Instead, try middle parting hair and curling  away from your face. Put your curler (or straightener if you can curl with that) on low heat and avoid the hairspray – you just want enough to get a nice wave, not the full Shirley Temple! Curl starting like halfway down your head and NOT from the top, or they’ll get weirdly smushed under your cap and you’ll never be able to take it off. 

The Boho Braid

This is the new and improved messy-bun: takes 5 minutes to do (because when you’re busy raging, who has time for hair?), fun and ~sporty~ enough for the occasion, but still super cute. How is said look accomplished? Basically just do a regular braid but don’t try as hard. Little pieces will be hanging out, especially if you have layers, so just bobby pin them back for a faux-side-bang.

The Cooler-Than-a-Ponytail Ponytail

There are a few ways to do this, but my two favorite tutorials are above. Basically this is any hairstyle that looks like a regular old unnassuming ponytail, but when you turn around it’s v cute and intricate and people think that you’re some sort of hair wizard even though it took like 2 seconds to accomplish. Bonus: they look good with or without a baseball cap!

The Headband

Oh messy bun, you are always there for me when I need you. My main concern for homecoming is that it’s gonna be cold, and then my ears are gonna get all red and my earrings freeze which makes me even colder, and it’s just a vicious cycle. Luckly I have my handy-dandy knit headband, which covers my ears and looks perf with a messy bun. Just throw your hair on top of your head and ball it up in a big knot! Secure with bobby pins. If you’re really feeling spirited, you can buy a Columbia headband in the school store!

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.