Heart-Melting Valentines Make-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

We all know that Valentine’s Day is stressful. Either you’re wondering what the heck your plans are with your significant other or wondering how to make yourself feel better about it being the worst day of the year to be single (no judgment, I’m in the same boat). So whether you’re spending the night with a special someone or spending it out with some friends (and your true love, Jack), here are some looks you won’t have to stress about that will keep you looking glamorous all night long (until the nightmare’s over).

If you’re one of the lucky ones that has a hot date for the evening but have no idea where to start when it comes to preparing (it’s not like there’s any pressure or anything…), the following six products will have you feeling confident in no time.

First, Sephora Collection’s Long-Lasting 12HR Wear Eye Liner, is both well priced and the perfect way to highlight your eyes. Whether you prefer classic black or want to add a little shimmer (my favorite is Glitter Brown!), this eyeliner is both easy to apply and lives up to its title.

Another great product that will keep you looking fresh is Smashbox’s Limitless 15 Hr Wear Cream Shadow. Try it in Gemstone if you’re feeling a little sassy. You’ll look so good no one will even notice you’re doing the walk of shame.

Next, we all know that no look is complete without enticingly long eyelashes, so pull it all together with They’re Real! Mascara by Benefit. They’re Real! will give you beautiful, voluminous, sky-high lashes with no mess. For maximum effect, put on a second coat after letting the first coat dry.

Of course, it’s important not to forget about the whole picture, and that’s why Essie’s “Leading Lady” polish is the perfect color to give you nails that are not only fabulous but also send the right message. Add this bottle of sparkle to your look along with Calvin Klein’s Euphoria perfume and you might just fall in love with yourself.

And last but certainly not least…lip gloss. Whoever said the way to a man’s (or woman’s) heart is through their stomach was wrong. Use Stila’s Sealed With a Kiss Lip Glaze Trio to make your lips as yummy and distracting as ever. And you get three color choices: Pout, Smooch, and Kiss — who could resist?

Now for the single ladies, whether you’re single and ready to mingle or you plan on celebrating your freedom (and looking hot while you do it), these four products will not let you down.

Lips come first with this look, and Smashbox’s Love Me Be Legendary Lipstick is sure to turn heads. Whether your color is Love Me or Tempt Me, this lipstick will hydrate and give your lips a healthy look. Plus, it’s guaranteed not to ditch you half way through the night. If only love were this predictable.

Since you’re playing up the lips, it’s best to keep the eyes simple with something like Urban Decay’s Naked Basics Palette. The colors are basic but can be mixed and matched to give your eyes a radiant look that’s sure to catch the eyes of someone else.

You can follow this with Maybelline’s Volum’ Express Falsies Flaired Wings which is possibly the best bang for your buck when it comes to mascara because once your throw on a couple coats, people really will be asking you if your lashes are real.

And to top it all off, I recommend using Urban Decay’s Naked Flushed blush, bronzer, and highlighter to achieve a healthy glow that will have people gravitating towards you, especially in this dreary winter weather. Pair it with your favorite perfume and who knows where the night will take you…

Kat Chamberlain

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.