This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Wow, I can’t believe it’s that time of the year already. Now that the leaves have changed, the temperature has dropped, and we’ve already begun to register for classes for next semester, it’s time for some of my favorite holidays: Thanksgiving! Christmas! Hannukah! Oh My! When I think of any of these holidays, I think of family and food. What more does a girl need in life? Bonding with my cousins over school, while stuffing our faces with home-cooked delicacies have produced some of my fondest memories growing up. While I  am lucky enough to live close to home and can go there for the holidays, others may prefer to stay at school or live too far away to do so.

Whether you’re going home or staying in, what better way to get in the holiday spirit than by decorating your dorm room? Here are a few tips and tricks to put you in that festive mood:

Thanksgiving: Acorn Painting

It’s simple, cute and just the way it sounds. Go to any park or place that might have trees, collect some acorns, and bake them at 170 degrees for 2 hours. Then paint the bottoms of the acorns with acrylic paint, let them dry, display them on a tray, and voila! Full tutorial here.

Christmas: Bow Wreath

All you need is cardboard, scissors, hot glue, and bows. Use a bowl to cut a symmetrical circle out of your cardboard. Then, use a smaller bowl to cut a smaller circle inside the first one. This will create a ring, which you need to make a wreath. Afterwards, simply hot glue as many bows as you can fit onto the cardboard as possible. Full tutorial here

Hannukah: Decked Out Dreidels

This is by far the best decoration idea I’ve heard of in terms of the Jewish Holidays. What you’ll need are plain wooden dreidels in various sizes, different colors of glitter, and white glue. Spread white glue all over the dreidel, then sprinkle glitter onto it. Let the dreidel dry. Once you’ve finished all your dreidels, put them in a glass container and display it on your bookshelf, dresser, or desk! Full tutorial here

May everyone’s dorm room shine brightly this holiday season. Happy decorating!

Leora Herman

Columbia Barnard