etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Diary of a Working Girl: Summer Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

One of our favorite readers told us a little about her experience working over the summer!

Where did you intern and why?

I had this super exclusive, high paying internship at a chain restaurant…. Job title: Serving Wench. Why I interned there is a very fascinating question.

1. I’m a broke ass college student
  2. I wanted to have an actual summer
  3. My parents didn’t give a shit about flashy internships, so no pressure there
  4. My $200 per night in tips was far more worth putting my name on a company for bringing an assistant coffee at 8 in the morning
  5. I’m a broke ass college student

Did you like or hate the place?

What’s not to like about 6 hours per day of serving SoCal trophy wives while they complain about all the shopping they have left to do and send salads back to the kitchen for not being finely chopped enough? anything memorable or unusual happen

A couple in their early 50’s wrote on their receipt, “We met on Tinder, wish us luck!” The man’s name was on the receipt from his credit card so I low key stalk them on Facebook still to this day. They’re still together.

Did you meet anyone famous?

I once waited on Kobe Bryant. He continued to wear his sunglasses inside the restaurant at 7:30pm, ordered a Coke and a bowl of tortilla soup, then tipped me 40%. It was a very telling experience.

Would you ever go back?

50% off of mass-produced, reheated pasta and free cocktails in take-out cups from the bartenders? Hell yeah!

xoxo