This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

We’ve all inevitably tried out those apps. Tinder, Happn, Bumble, you name it. Our generation is superb at streamlining everything we do, including dating. Dating apps exist so you can find Prince Charming or your next hookup while on your morning commute, scrolling through the pages of apps on your phone. However, like every new technology, there’s a way to use them and we at Her Campus Barnard have a few quick tips on dating app etiquette.

Use your bio, but keep it simple, short and sweet.

Tbh, no one is going to want to read an entire MLA formatted 5 paragraph essay about how you’re totally a Cancer (even though you were born in January) because you just really ~get~ other people.

A short and simple bio is best–maybe where you’re from, where you go to school (if you want people to know that), and a little witty comment. People may or may not read your bio because in all honesty, most people just don’t care.

Just be honest.

There is absolutely no reason to lie in your profile. If you don’t like sports, no need to call yourself a Lakers fan in your bio. If you don’t like the outdoors, don’t call yourself a nature chick. Just be yourself, and don’t be generic!

Don’t even bother with group pictures.

Seriously. No one wants to take the time to figure out which one you are in the photo. Also, stick to current pictures (i.e. last 6 months or year). People want to know what you actually look like.

Know what you want!

If you know you’re searching for a fling, go ahead and swipe left on that guy looking for “the one”. You don’t need to share those details with anyone, but just remind yourself of why you downloaded the app. If you’re there looking for something more long term, go ahead and delete all the “DTF” messages, because they’re not going to change overnight.

Remember: there are people behind the screens.

Dating online is similar to dating in “real-life” in that you should still treat the other person with respect. Just because you have the online barrier doesn’t mean you should abuse it.

If you meet face-to-face and you’re not feeling it after date #1, go ahead and give your date the courtesy of a respectful “no” if date #2 is on the table. Ghosting makes the other person feel shitty, and it doesn’t take much time to say “I just didn’t feel the spark” or “Sorry, I’m just not interested right now”. It’ll leave the other person feeling slightly less jilted, and you won’t feel like you left loose ends.

Trust your gut!

You know your type and you know what you’re looking for. So go with it! Dating apps are definitely about expanding your horizons, but if your first instinct is to swipe left, it’s okay to swipe left. It’s all about fun and spontaneity, so go with your first instinct.