Campus Celebrity: Maria Martinez Makes the World Her Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Maria Martinez

Year: Junior

School: Columbia College

Major: Urban Studies

Hometown: Guanajuato, Mexico

Preferred airline: Emirates—Best airline meals I’ve had. 

Favorite travel snack: Gummy everything! Bears, snakes, etc…

What’s one thing you make sure not leave at home when you go on a trip?

I never leave without headphones, a good book, and gum.

You’ve been just about everywhere! Can you tell Her Campus readers where you’ve visited?

Last summer, I interned in Singapore through Columbia Experience Overseas. While I was there I traveled to Bali and Cambodia. From there I studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain. In Europe I traveled to Paris (of course), Belgium, Munich (~Oktoberfest~), Netherlands, and within Spain to Madrid, Valencia and Granada.

Which was your favorite?

My favorite was Siem Reap, Cambodia! Getting to spend the day exploring (and climbing) through Angkor Wat was unlike anything I’ve done before! It was an eye opening experience. The culture was so unique and the food was incredible. Did I mention 50 cent beer?

Best meal you’ve ever had on your travels?

Wow… I’ve had so many amazing meals it’s hard to narrow it down, but I’d have to say the paella in Barcelona and the xiao long bao in Singapore take the cake.  

What have you learned from your travels?

A lesson I learned is CHECK VISA REQUIREMENTS! And then double-check again because if not you’ll get deported like I did in Thailand. Although it’s funny now, it was definitely not fun being withheld in the Bangkok airport.

How do you choose your destinations?

I usually aim to go to new places every time! I like to do my research ahead of time, so if I run into an article about something cool in a specific city, I’ll keep that in mind.

Where do you plan on visiting next?!

South America! I’m trying to plan an ultimate backpacking trip from Cartagena, Colombia down to São Paulo, Brazil.

Check out some pics from Maria’s travels! 

For more photos, follow Maria on Instagram: @mmartinez95

Lily Morris

Columbia Barnard