Bartending Boss: Jane Handel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Jane Handel
Year: BC ’12
Major: English with a creative writing concentration.

1. What is your position at the Barnard Bartending Agency?

I am the manager of the Barnard Bartending Agency. I also enjoy working as a bartender/party helper.

2. How and when did you get involved with the agency?
I took the Barnard Bartending mixology course the first semester of my first year at Barnard. I had read about the Agency before coming to Barnard, and I knew that it would be an incredible way to see and to explore the city. After getting into the Agency, I knew I wanted to be more involved, so I immediately applied for the open Assistant Manager position.

3. What is your favorite part about the position?
Getting to talk with all sorts of different clients and meeting new students when teaching the mixology course are some of my favorite highlights of the job, but I would have to say that working with our amazing team (our fabulous Assistant Managers, Ilana Zur and Hadden Martinez, as well as our wonderful bartenders) is definitely my favorite part of the position.

4. What was the best experience you’ve had working for or with the agency?
I’ve met some of my best friends working on various jobs, and of course it’s always a treat to see some of the most beautiful homes in the city, or to get a sneak peak at a new exhibition during art gallery openings.

5. What do you hope to do after graduation?
I am hoping to stay in the city, but I’m yet undecided. Are you hiring?

6. What else are you involved in at Barnard?
I am currently working on finishing up my Centennial Scholars presentation, and working as many bartending jobs as I can before graduation!

7. How can a person become involved with the agency?
We are about to start our Spring 2012 course! Classes will be on Tuesday nights in 202 Altschul starting on January 31, and the final exam will be on Tuesday, February 28th. Classes start at 8:00 PM and run about an hour – though students can stay as long as they like to practice mixing drinks or to ask questions! Everyone who passes the final exam is offered a position in the Agency. You can sign up online at www.barnardbartending.com, and feel free to email bartend@barnard.edu with any questions!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!