Alex Donnelly: The “Charlotte” of CUPAL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Year: 2014

School: CC

Major: Financial Economics and Political Science

Relationship Status: In a relationship

On-Campus Activities: Musical Theater, CUPAL, Wind Ensemble, Financial Mentorship Program, FInancial Investment Group

Off-Campus Activities: I am currently the finance intern at a cosmetic company.  I previously helped produce a musical in Fringe Festival NYC, and I also run the social media for two hometown politicians.

Ideal romantic get-away itinerary: Maybe this is boring, but a stay-cation with a disney marathon and copious amounts of cuddling really sounds like a great weekend to me.  If I HAD to go somewhere, it would be up the coast to some sleepy New England fishing town and a bed and breakfast.  It would likely include some locally-famous diners, a small-town museum, and hiking.

Hottest personality trait in a girl: Self-confidence.  Yes there are obviously other important things like being able to tell a joke, hold a conversation, etc., but being having self confidence really just draws people to you, and is a very attractive quality.

Fool-proof pick up line/ pick up move:  Especially if it’s at a party, you really can’t go wrong with a “Hi, I’m Alex”.  They (they = buzzfeed) always say that its like 55% body language, 38% tone of voice and like 7% what you are actually saying, so I’ve never worried so much about having a quick one-liner.  Stand up straight, pretend to be less nervous than you are, and you’ll do just fine.  

Favorite bar in NYC: Depends on the mood.  I love the Abbey for my ‘Cheers’ bar, where everyone knows your name, but The ‘Dam is a great date place; pretty quiet, intimate, easy to have a conversation.  Tap a Keg is a pretty great place to challenge someone to a game of darts, if you’re into that sort of thing.  There is a rumor that I frequent a theater speakeasy in midtown that I can neither confirm nor deny.

Most-played songs on your iTunes: ….Drop in the Ocean – Ron Pope.  There were a lot of dark days in 11th grade…207 of them, apparently

Favorite thing to Instagram: I instagram every playbill or ticket stub for any event I go to.  It helps me remember the experience, who I was with, and any funny stories that go along with it.

Be honest: how many hearts have you broken?  In 5th grade, I liked this girl until she stole my hockey stick and got me in trouble.  The next week when she asked me if she and I could ever hang out after school, I told her no.  “Is it because I’m a girl?” “No, it’s because you stole my hockey stick and made me lose recess and I hate you”.  Sorry, Angelica R. from Laurel Plains Elementary School.  To be fair, she grew up to be way more popular and attractive than me, so I guess the joke’s on me.

Number of friend requests you have “pending” right now:  I used to work at an ice cream shop when I was in HS and these middle school girls would take the $20 their parents gave them to “keep out of trouble” and come and spend their entire evenings making face at me or asking for my number.  Including these girls? 27.  Not including them? 4, and they are all varieties of “Columbia Complements.”

Have you ever done yoga?  No, but my therapist and my mother have both been trying to get my to try it for years.  It’s on my to-do list.

How long do you wait to text a girl after getting her number?  It’s not a set rule.  If it’s just “some girl from the bar”, maybe 3 days.  If I really like them I usually forget how desperate it looks and drunk text them later that night.

Which Sex and the City character are you? Charlotte, duh.

Best secret location to take a girl on campus:  There’s a really great cafe underneath Avery.  Cute place to grab breakfast, if you can muster the courage to get out bed before 10am.  Alternatively, I hear the Marching Band throws these really selective parties that are super hard to get into.

Best dining hall to take a girl to: JJ’s.  It shows you are laidback and carefree, but those 2-person tables say your the real deal and enjoy quiet conversations.  And let’s not forget the aphrodisiac qualities of curly fries.

What will your wedding be like? I once got into an argument with my mother about whether or not I need 1000 facebook friends and I told her that they are all quality friends that I would invite to my wedding.  With that in mind, my wedding will be one for the ages, covered in the NY Times, and probably use most of the staff of Hollywood Light and Sound for the occasion.  If you’re reading this, you are invited.

Ally Engelberg

Columbia Barnard

Ally wants you to see the Varsity Show.
Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard