This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1. Turn off your phone!

Your phone will only distract you. CandyCrush will still be there in a few hours, I promise. 

1. Take brain breaks!

Research has shown that it is incredibly beneficial to give yourself a break every now and then. Try working for 20-25 minutes and then taking a 5 minute break. This is known as the Comodoro Technique!

1. Don’t study with your best friend.

Just…don’t do it. 

1. Form a reliable study group.

It’s often easier to get work done when you are surrounded by others trying to reach the same goal. Find a supportive, motivated group of friends and get to work!

1. Block Facebook (and other sites)

Stop lying to yourself—that “5 minute Facebook/Buzzfeed/Instagram/Netflix break” often turns into a 2 hour break. Use online software to block these sites, just for a few hours! Netflix is so much more satisfying when your work is done. See “Cold Turkey” and other great, free programs.

1. Review, review, review!

Don’t binge-study the night before your biggest midterm. Begin your review a week in advance, chapter by chapter. Meet in groups, study alone—do whatever works for you. But do it in advance!

1. Speaking of the night before…

…there are plenty of nights to go out. Mel’s is great, but it is not the best place to study for your 8:40 midterm.

1. Get some exercise!

Exercise has endless benefits. If you’re having trouble focusing, try doing jumping jacks, plank, pushups, or sit ups during your brain break. Going for a full, 25-60 minute workout can also help you study more efficiently, and for a longer amount of time. 

1. Take notes using different colored pens!

This helps fire up your visual memory. Plus, it’s way more fun to review!

1. Just relax. 

You are smart. You go to an amazing school, you have amazing support systems (see the writing and speaking center, as well as other student tutoring programs), and YOU are amazing (but hopefully you know more synonyms for amazing). As long as you study, take care of yourself, and show up to class, you will do great. 

Rhys Lewis

Columbia Barnard