10 Artists We’d Die To See At #throwbacchanal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Swamped with midterms and papers, we can all look forward to bacchanal in April. This year’s theme is #throwbacchanal, so Her Campus decided to throw it back and dream up our ideal list of past artists we wish we could see.  

10. Avril Lavigne

Remember that time you crushed hard on that “sk8er boi”, and the two of you fell madly in love? Yeah, me neither, but that didn’t matter in 2002 when Avril Lavigne spoke to the “Complicated” parts of all of us. If 2002 Avril came to bacchanal, even alma would let out her punk side on low steps with a loose tie and a white tank.  

9. No Doubt

No Doubt was probably the coolest, hippest band of the late 90s/early 2000s, and it seemed that they didn’t even have to try, they just were. Gwen and friends really inspired me to try out funky styles, but I soon realized that I could never pull them off. Even Gwen’s kids are cooler than I will ever be. EVER. And I’ve learned to accept that. That’s why if No Doubt from the 90s came to Bacchanal, they wouldn’t even be seen as outdated or a throwback because they were so ahead of their time.

8. 50 Cent

Let’s take it back to those awkward middle school dance parties when we uncomfortably grinded with other thirteen year olds and listened to music we definitely did not understand… 50 Cent’s songs were pretty much all anthems for those glorious days, but did we really know what he meant by “Candy Shop” and “Just a Lil Bit”? Probably not, or at least I hope not. But now that we do, I’m sure we’d all have a great time rapping those lyrics back to him at Bacchanal.

7. Missy Elliott

Missy is definitely a strong, bold, beautiful (honorary) Barnard woman. She always did her own thing, and if you need proof of this, just take a look at any of her classic music videos. Who wouldn’t want someone encouraging us to “Work It”, “Lose Control”, and “Get [our] Freak On” at bacchanal?

6. Spice Girls

Yo, I’ll tell you what I want, what I really really want, and that’s the Spice Girls at Bacchanal.  Other than at the London Olympics, the Spice Girls haven’t performed together in years, and Bacchanal would be the perfect setting for Posh, Baby, Scary, Ginger, and Sporty to reunite. It’s low-key, but also in one of the greatest cities in the world. Unfortunately, Posh totally crushed all of our dreams by denying us of any possible reunion. First she takes David Beckham, and now this? Low blow, Posh, low blow. 

5. The Killers

Throwback to the days before reality TV classics like “What Would Ryan Lochte Do?”. Not that I don’t enjoy these because I definitely enjoy learning about toddler pageants, but I do miss watching MTV’s TRL and VH1’s Top 20 Countdown. I remember one of my favorite music videos being “Mr. Brightside” for its quirky appeal. As a fan of The Killers, I would love to see them at #throwbacchanal not just because I still listen to them, but also because they have so many feel good songs that would be perfect for a springtime, bacchanal set. Even the thought of their performing “All These Things That I’ve Done” on a sunny day makes me less bitter about the snow’s return. But, Mother Nature, could you please not?

4. Outkast

Before there was twerking, there was shaking it like a Polaroid picture. Oukast popularized this phrase along with others (“Roses really smell like poo poo poo”… I’m still questioning if those are the correct lyrics) with their humorous music and eccentric style.  I mean if they can reunite for Coachella and Governor’s Ball, can’t they play at Bacchanal too?!?

3. ‘N Sync

When ‘N Sync said “Bye Bye Bye” for good, the world cried. But then JT let them reunite for two whole minutes out of his fifteen-minute performance, and we rejoiced. Now all I want is for them to perform as Pop puppets one more time on our very own low steps. They could even introduce the next month and remind us that “It’s gonna be me” (Read: It’s gonna be MAY).

2. Destiny’s Child

Alma, can you handle this? Milly, can you handle this? Columbia, can you handle this? The answer is yes, 1,000 times yes. We can handle it, and we would gladly host Destiny’s Child at #throwbacchanal. They were the perfect role models growing up and taught us how to be “Survivors” and “Independent women”. Without them, who knows where we would be, but I sure wouldn’t want to find out. All I know, is that if they were at bacchanal, they would have the whole crowd “Jumpin’, jumpin’ ”

1. Britney Spears

The number one spot goes to the one, the only Britney Jean Spears. I’m not kidding when I say I think she changed my life. Britney’s songs are iconic and defined the music we grew up with. If she graced us with her presence at Bacchanal, she could perform for hours with all of her well-known hits. With her at Bacchanal, I’d probably go into full on Chris Crocker Don’t Be Mean to Britney mode, that’s how excited I would be. So with that said, there really are no words to describe her. I’m done. 

Laura Otsu

Columbia Barnard