What I Hear When Women Say They Don’t Need Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I am a white, bisexual, cisgender woman who identifies as a feminist. What does that mean? Ultimately, it means that I believe in gender equality. That I recognize the injustices we and other non-binary genders face. That I acknowledge the privileges I have that other marginalized groups don’t. That I understand how different kinds of oppression intersect with sexism. That I want to fight against inequality and keep educating myself on it to stay “woke”. That I want others to realize the social injustices going on and the power they hold to battle it.

Isn’t standing up to oppression a good thing? If so, why do feminists still get a bad rep, especially from fellow women?

Nothing feels as upsetting as hearing another woman telling me she doesn’t need feminism, that she’s against it. Aren’t we surviving the patriarchy together? Why would you be against a movement advocating for your rights? Whether it’s out of ignorance or resentment, saying that you don’t need feminism reveals a lot about how you feel about the oppression it fights as well as those affected by it. Regardless of what your reasons are, this is what I hear when you say you don’t need feminism:

1. “I am not a victim of oppression, so therefore it’s not an issue.”

Even if oppression doesn’t directly affect you, your experiences should not invalidate those affected by it. For instance, I am white so I will never face the racial adversities that women of color do. You may speak on your behalf, but not everyone’s. This isn’t about you; it’s about those surviving the hate they face every day.

2. “I’m too privileged to be bothered by the injustices going on”

Your privilege doesn’t excuse you from ignoring the injustices going on, especially when most people don’t have that luxury to push them under the rug. Avoiding these issues suggests that you tolerate them, that you’re not concerned for those impacted by them.

3. “I only have preconceived notions on what feminism is about.”

If you still believe feminism is about hating men and giving women entitlement, you might want to do some research. You’re not a better person for letting these assumptions blind you from what feminism really does. It doesn’t mean you can’t formulate your own opinions, but do so after you educated yourself.

4. “There are bad examples of feminism, therefore I can’t support the movement as a whole.”

I agree that there are bad examples of feminism out there (*cough*White*cough*Feminism*cough*) and that we need to address them when it appears. However, it’s not fair to use those to entirely dismiss the movement. It is not your place to decide that feminism doesn’t deserve a purpose in our lives.

I’m not trying to persuade you to become a feminist (although you really should), but rather force you to reevaluate the meanings behind your words. Even if you personally believe you don’t need feminism, don’t ignore that there are plenty of women who depend on it and please take the time to educate yourself on the inequalities that exist. Swallow your pride and accept that there’s nothing wrong about wanting gender equality.

Augustana Contributor