Meet Your 2017-2018 Her Campus Senior Editor: Sierra Scanlan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Aaaaaand we’re back! I had the pleasure of sitting down with Her Campus’s new Senior Editor for this school year, Sierra Scanlan to hear about how she spent her summer, what her Senior year is going to be like and her favorite dog type. I’ve gotten to know Sierra throughout my time at Augie and she’s a kickass teammate, writer, human and always manages to find the best lighting for her selfies. I don’t know how she does it!

Name: Sierra Scanlan

Year: Senior

Major(s)/Minor(s): Secondary Education and English, Double Major

Hometown: Romeoville, IL

Campus Involvement: Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field, Her Campus, Chi Alpha Pi Sorority Member

So! What did you do this summer?

I worked at Camp Abe Lincoln in Blue Grass, Iowa. Our campers ranged from age 3 to 13. Throughout the week, we’d do things like canoeing, fire building, arts and crafts, all that fun stuff. Though the days were long, I really enjoyed being around all of the kids and getting to know them. The kids at camp shaped me into a better, happier version of myself and I will be forever grateful for that. 

That’s awesome! What was your favorite part about doing that?

My favorite part of it all was the moments where I realized I made a difference to a child. That’s what got me up everyday, knowing each day I had the chance to make an impact on a child. The last week of camp, I had a parent reach out to me and thank me for working with his child. It’s things like that that remind me why I am doing what I’m doing.

How did that help you get ready for post-grad life and what did you learn?

Working at the camp definitely helped me prepare for student teaching in the winter. Most of the time, I was a counselor to middle school aged campers and I learned how I’ll need to interact with 7th graders when I am student teaching. My experience at camp reminded me just how intelligent and interesting children are. We had such a wide range of kids at camp from different walks of life and all of them had so much to offer to me. Most importantly, I learned how to be patient with children. Children will let you help them as long as you work with them and show them that you are willing to be patient with them.

So, you’re going into your senior year. What does it have in store for you?

Our first Cross Country meet is the first week of September. I am one of the four captains, so I am trying to be the best possible role model for my teammates. My class load for this fall isn’t too heavy as I’m preparing for student teaching in winter. Most of all, I’m just trying to enjoy my last year of college. Junior year was a tough one so I’m hoping senior year will be the best year yet.

What are you looking forward most to your senior year?

Cross country season. It’s been my favorite since I first started running. I’m excited to see what my teammates and I can do. I’m also looking forward to student teaching. Although I’m having anxious and nervous feelings, I know it’ll be a huge growth experience. 

What are you excited for about your sorority this year?

Mr. Augustana. It’s super cool seeing men of Augustana’s campus get up in front of people and totally be themselves. It’s also cool that we donate all the money raised to such a good cause (Cancer).

What advice would you give to the first-years coming in?

Augustana is a special place. Your four years here will go by fast. I never believed that as a freshman but it really does. So, cherish it all. Get involved on campus, make friends, use your professors as a support system, try new things, and most of all…leave your comfort zone. Your journey here won’t be perfect and there may be times where life just feels really hard but know that you’ll be such a strong individual by the time you’re a senior. I’ve grown in ways I never thought were possible as a freshman and I can’t believe I’m about to be in my final year.

Looking back on your last three years at Augie, what’s been a favorite memory or something that has stood out to you the most?

I had a Cross Country meet on my 19th birthday freshman year. This was the meet I broke 20 minutes for 3 miles at. I was never able to do this in high school so it was a significant moment for me. My coach and I shared a special moment at the finish of this race. I came up to him and he just looks at me and says “YOU did it.” Whenever I’m feeling low and think I’m not capable of accomplishing something, I think back to this moment. 

Why do you think Her Campus is important to Augustana?

Her Campus is important to Augustana because it gives women a space to be themselves and feel empowered. The ladies I work with at Her Campus remind me each day how awesome it is to be a woman. Her Campus helps me feel confident and strong in my own skin and I’m glad Augustana’s small campus was able to get a chapter going. 

As the Her Campus Senior Editor (and an English major), why do you think writing is important?

I’ve been writing since the 7th grade. It genuine helps me get through life and allows me to express myself in ways that I couldn’t otherwise. Writing is important because it allows you to find yourself and your voice. Writing is an empowering experience because it’s up to you what end product you form with your writing. It’s such a personal thing and I couldn’t imagine my life without it. My dream has always been to publish a book, so stay tuned!  

(You can find Sierra’s poetry online at https://hellopoetry.com/sierra-scanlan/ )

If you were a brand, what would your slogan be?

“Hawt and fre$h”

What’s your favorite type of dog?

Pug.

What are you watching on Netflix right now?

Shameless. I’m only able to invest myself in one show at once.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I hope to be established at school either in the Quad Cities or Colorado. We have a professor in the Education department here at Augie and he says, “You don’t know what you’re doing until your fifth year.” So I’m hoping in 5 years, I’ll have things figured out with teaching. I hope to be the owner of a cat or dog. Lastly, I hope to still be running and coaching my own runners.

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.