The First Ever Green Week at Augustana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

What started as a simple Google Document of ideas surrounding Earth Day and Earth Week grew into an entire planned week of activities dedicated to green living, Green Week.  According to junior Jodie Kirschner, president of Augustana’s Local Agriculture Society, organizing Green Week began as early as winter term and came to full fruition once Spring Term began. (Click HERE to RSVP to the event!)

“We are hopeful that Green Week will unify, improve, and educate Augustana’s campus community about environmental issues and solutions. We want to emphasize that while some of the environmental threats we face today are daunting, we can brainstorm and create powerful solutions at a local level if we work together,” said Kirschner.

There are a number of accessible events being held all week on campus that range from cleaning the Slough to learning how to make your own natural skin products such as lip balm and soap.

Here is the complete schedule of events:

The organizations contributing to this event include the Augustana Local Agriculture Society (ALAS) (aka Augie Acres), Sierra Club, Global Affect, Geography Club, Biology Club, and Geology Club. The Residence Hall Association (RHA) is sponsoring ALAS planting day and culture groups are providing cooking resources.

“It has been exciting to connect with all the different environmental groups and organizations on campus. There are a lot of new environmental/sustainably minded groups emerging (i.e. Greeks Go Green, Campus Kitchen, and RHA Environmental Committee just to name a few.) I’m looking forward to next year because we can start our planning with knowledge of all these different groups and their resources,” said Kirschner.

All of the events are geared towards Augie students in hopes of providing students with the ability to make positive, immediate and meaningful change to the environment around them. In alignment with Earth Day, April 22, 2017, Green Week was designed to be bold and visible on campus to foster environmental pride in the Augustana community. 

“While it’s almost trivial that the Earth is only celebrated once a year, as stewards of this land, we have to do our very best to take advantage of this celebration to raise awareness, come together, and initiate change,” said Kirschner.

Junior Gena Rodriguez, President of Sierra Club, also helped plan the event in hopes that it will continue as an annual tradition at Augie.

“I hope that Green Week will become an annual event and tradition that these groups will maintain on campus for the future. I think people will have positive feelings towards helping the Earth,” said Rodriguez.

Her Campus Augustana will update our social media daily, covering the Green Week activities available to students on that day. Make sure you keep up with us on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.