5 Free Things to do in the Quad Cities This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Although most of Augustana’s campus will be heading home for the summer, many students will be staying in the Quad Cities area for jobs, internships, or just for one last hurrah before their senior year begins. Yes, “jobs” are what many of us will be hoping for, but that won’t stop the fact that our bank account will still be at a solid zero. Here are 5 free things for you to do here this summer.

1. Samples at the Farmers Market

On Saturday mornings come to downtown Davenport to support local foods and businesses at the farmers market. Even better, spend the morning getting free samples of fresh local food!

2. Geocaching

Just download the app and start treasure hunting. Geocaching uses GPS signals to help you explore the area around you while looking for little presents that have been left by other Geocachers.

3. Instagram Pictures at the Murals

The QC area has tons of natural beauty as well as wonderful monuments, but art has flourished as well. Go for a walk and use the murals to help you get a jump on those summer Instagram likes.

4. John Deere Pavilion

Go receive a better appreciation for what Moline was founded on and explore the John Deere Pavilion. Pretend you’re 5 years old and climb on some tractors!

5. Bucktown Center for the Arts

Although these are shops, if you can’t afford to buy anything just take the day to wander and enjoy some local art as well as meet some local artists.

Maissie is currently studying English, Creative Writing, and Theatre Arts at Augustana College, where she is a writer for the on campus chapter of Her Campus. You can also see her leading as co-captain of the varsity volleyball team and watching Bob's Burgers with her sisters of the local social sorority Chi Omega Gamma. Her writing can also be found for the Augustana Observer's sports section.
Augustana Contributor