This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Have you ever considered tattoos as an art form? As mainstream as they are, I think we forget to appreciate the aesthetic of the craft. Tattoos are an everlasting form of expression. No matter how complex, each tattoo holds a sentiment. A sentiment printed deep into the extraordinary canvas that is skin. An art piece that lives with you.

Like traditional art forms, there are various styles of tattoos. However, none of them can compare to watercolor tattoos. For those not in the know, watercolor tattoos are meant to imitate splashes or strokes of paint onto the skin, as if it were a watercolor painting. I hope I provided a clear definition, but I think these examples speak for themselves on how fascinating these tattoos can be.

1.

Such a unique outline and I love how the colors spiral around.

2.

The sketchy style. The lines bleeding into the color. The artist in me screams.

3.

Yes, this is a real tattoo. Real enough to fool me into thinking these were just paint dripping someone’s arm. A-freaking-plus.

4.

I just adore the simple design and the pastel colors. My aesthetic.

5.

Usually not a fan of landscape tats, but I just had to include this one for the vibrant colors and the cloudy effect.

6.

A kitter and a pizza. Truly a masterpiece.

7.

A color wheel tattoo? With paint leaking around the edges? Like an actual palette? Sign me the frick up!

8.

Okay, I may be a bit biased on this one because I have an origami bird tattoo, but just look at this explosion of colors. They flow so nicely.

9.

There are many watercolor feather tattoos out there, but this one’s my fave due to its rich teal color and the paint splattering on the top.

10.

Yes, another flower tattoo, but look at that shading and detail. Oh, yes, honey.

Augustana Contributor