The Crunch: Butternut Squash Tart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The buttery flavor of puff pastry ensures a final product that tastes like pure indulgence, no matter what you top it with. However, topping puff pastry with butternut squash—a vegetable loaded with fiber, potassium and B vitamins—gives it nutritional merit.

With only five ingredients, the tart is simple to prepare. Layer the slices of squash in a consistent pattern, and serve garnished with fresh sprigs of rosemary to impress your family with a homemade appetizer over Thanksgiving break. 

Search for a locally grown squash and freshly cut rosemary; the flavors will reward you. 

Butternut Squash Tart

Serves 4 

1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled and sliced into rounds 1/8 inch thick

1 Tbsp rosemary, chopped 

½ teaspoon Kosher salt

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed 

¼ cup ricotta cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash with rosemary and salt, spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, or until squash begins to soften. Remove from oven and set aside.

Discard one third of puff pastry, and place the remaining rectangle of pastry dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake puff pastry for 14 minutes. 

Spread small dollops of ricotta cheese evenly across top of puff pastry, keeping a one-inch wide border along the edges. Layer butternut squash pieces on top of ricotta. Bake an additional 15 minutes, and serve immediately.