7 Festival Essentials You’ll Need This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

With summer right around the corner, festival season is around the corner too! I went to Bonnaroo, a music festival in Tennessee, last summer and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I love music, and getting to see my favorite artists all in one weekend is a dream come true. While festivals are fun, there is a lot you need to prepare for one. Your outfits aren’t necessarily the most important thing you need to prepare for, but one bit of advice I have is to wear comfortable shoes and dress light, especially since you’ll be in the sun all day. So, I’ve made a list of essentials for those of you who are festival newbies.

1. Water

This is definitely the most important one! It is so easy to get dehydrated during a festival when you’re in the sun all day. Make sure to always have your water bottle filled up, or even get one of those backpacks with the built-in water bag. You need to keep that energy up to dance your heart out with all your friends!

2. Sunscreen and Sunglasses

Always remember that SPF girls! When you’re in the sun all day, you need to protect your skin from those rays. Sunglasses also help to keep the sun out of your eyes; no one wants to be squinting instead of seeing their favorite band perform.

3. Backpack/Fanny Pack

These are way easier to use instead of purses when you’re at a festival. Put your water, phone charger, snacks, and any other essentials in a backpack and keep it with you all day.

4. Snacks

There isn’t a lot of food you can bring to a festival, and the food stands are usually pretty expensive. So, snacks are your go-to. Things like granola bars, fruit and peanut butter sandwiches (my fav) are perfect for mini snack breaks.

5. Portable charger

Obviously, your phone should always be charged when you’re at a festival. Not only so you can take videos and pictures, but to keep in touch with your friends if you accidentally get separated. Portable chargers fit perfectly in fanny packs so you can constantly have your phone plugged in.

6. Deodorant

This is an obvious one, but keeping deodorant in your backpack throughout the day and reapplying is so important. And don’t be worried about publicly putting on antiperspirant, everyone probably smells after not having access to a shower for a couple days. This spray on deodorant is my fave:

7. Mini fan

This seems like a small thing, but it actually helps a lot, especially when you’re standing and waiting in the middle of a crowd when it’s 80 degrees. You’d be surprised what a tiny battery powered fan can do in summer weather.

Sarrah Shew is a pre-graphic design major at Auburn University.