This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Come January, once all the Christmas sale items start to dwindle, every store starts becoming infested with heart-shaped items in varying shades of pink and red. It can be overwhelming to think about Valentine’s Day since two stressful holidays have just ended, but there is another holiday in this time period that is just as fun and half the stress: Galantine’s Day.

What is Galentine’s Day you ask? It’s a celebration of your best friends, where you can leave the boys behind and just enjoy being with your girls. It’s celebrated on February 13, so if you’re in a relationship you can still spend the special day with your partner. I could go on about it, but it would be better if the inventor herself could explain it: Leslie Knope, from Parks and Rec.

So for “the best day of the year,” what should you and your girls plan? Here’s some ideas to get you started.

1. Going out: Fancy (or unfancy) dinners

Whether your favorite place to eat is a high-class Italian restaurant or a small breakfast diner, food always tastes better when it’s shared among friends.

2. Going out: Check Groupon for cool activities

Groupon has some great coupons for places right here in Auburn, and there are lots of different types of coupons for ideas you can think of.

3. Going out: Shopping date

Shopping is a great way to relieve stress, and with the Auburn Mall and Tiger Town nearby, there’s plenty of stores to spend the whole day.

4. Staying in: Bake off or cook off

A friendly competition to see who can make the best dessert or entrée will have everyone bringing out their favorite Pinterest recipes.

5. Staying in: Movie marathon

Have everyone bring their favorite movie, or just see what Netflix has to offer. Either way, popcorn and blankets are a must.

6. Staying in: Craft night

Getting crafty together brings everyone closer together, especially when you make the craft for someone else in the room.

The ideas and possibilities are endless for a holiday like this. Just remember, today is about your ladies; ovaries before brovaries!

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.