5 Shockers in “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” that Made Us Say “What?!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

*SPOILERS*

Finally, the moment teenage girls and their mothers have been waiting for this past year has arrived. “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” debuted this past weekend—better yet, on Black Friday. For those who weren’t interested in waiting in long lines and being trampled on in stores this Black Friday, they can instead watch the long awaited revival of “Gilmore Girls” right at home, snuggled up in a blanket with a hot cup of coffee or cocoa.

Now, after watching all four 90-minute episodes this past weekend, there were a lot of shockers. Going into the revival show, I knew very little. I had no idea what to expect, except that I knew all the characters would be back in the show, and Rory’s love life was up in the air. It was quite entertaining and very interesting to find out and see what the characters looked like, what they were up to and how they were doing back in good ole’ Stars Hollow; however, amongst all the entertainment came some pretty big shockers.

1. Rory has a boyfriend named Paul

Like I said, going into the “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life,” all I knew was that Rory’s love life was up in the air…that is, until they quickly announced within the first 10 minutes of the show that Rory has a boyfriend named Paul. A boyfriend? What?! In that instant, a million questions raced my mind. Who is Paul? What about Jess, Logan and Dean who are to be appearing at some point later on in the show? How did they meet? What is he like? Is their relationship serious? As shocked as I was that Rory had a boyfriend, I could tell within the first two minutes of meeting him that he wasn’t a serious boyfriend and he wasn’t at all right for her. Thankfully, Paul was hardly remembered, even by Rory, and their relationship ended as it rightfully should.

2. Lorelai and Luke consider having a baby

This announcement isn’t really a shock seeing as Lorelai and Luke have been together steadily for the past 9 years. They might as well be married already and are eachother’s family. It only makes sense that they would consider having a baby together. However, what shocked me is how old they are when they want to have a baby. Seeing as Rory is 32 years old, that makes Lorelai around 48 years old. Why do Lorelai and Luke want to have a baby now? They’ve been together for the past 9 years, anytime then would have been good too. Lorelai and Luke consider surrogates to have their baby, but why would they want a newborn baby when they are almost 50 years old? Although it’s not unheard of, it just doesn’t seem like something Lorelai and Luke would do. I guess they realized that they should not have a baby now or ever, and ended up dropping the idea entirely.

3. When we see Mr. Kim for the first time

Throughout 7 seasons and 153 episodes of the original “Gilmore Girls” series, we have never seen Mr. Kim on screen. We’ve heard of him, but this is the first time we as viewers have actually gotten to see and somewhat meet Mr. Kim. In the episode “Spring” of the Gilmore Girls revival show, Lane and Rory wave to Mr. Kim from a distance as he talks to another townsfolk. Even though we saw Mr. Kim briefly, we at least finally got to see Lane’s father and Mrs. Kim’s husband.

4. Paris announced she was getting a divorce

Paris, one of the most frustrating characters in this series, announced she was getting a divorce from her college sweetheart, Doyle. At first, I never thought such an angry, aggressive and competitive Paris would ever find love. Then, at Yale she met Doyle McMaster, who was Rory and Paris’s editor at the Yale Daily News their first year of college. Doyle’s personality is much like Paris’s, quick to anger and always stressed out. It was a match made in heaven. That is, until Paris announced she and Doyle were separating and divorcing. This shocks me, because I thought that once Paris found the one, she would always stay with him. After all, she doesn’t have many other options for love, since she scares away most men. In the end, even Doyle couldn’t tame a hostile and forceful Paris Geller.

5. Emily Gilmore ends up the happiest of them all

Throughout much of the revival show, Emily Gilmore is still her proud, easily irritable, and unemotional self. Emily is dealing with the death of her husband, Richard Gilmore, in this revival series and is taking it quite hard. Emily lashes out at Lorelai and even goes to therapy sessions. Did we ever think that we would see Emily Gilmore in therapy? In the course of the four episodes, Emily makes quite a transformation and becomes a better, happier and more content woman. All in all, I think that Emily Gilmore ends up the happiest out of all the characters. Emily sells her house that she’s lived in for years, drops the DAR and her friends, moves to Nantucket, Massachusetts, and gets a job at the local museum. She is no longer a corporate wife who has to maintain that picture-perfect look; she can truly be content with her new life in Nantucket with her new man friend. At the end of the show, Emily Gilmore is finally, truly content, and at last, free.