15 Random Acts of Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

With so much hate in the world we live in today, kindness is almost a rarity. With the Random Acts of Kindness organization, let’s make 2016 “the year of kindness” and be lights shining in the darkness. 

Free Baked Goods

Gather some friends to bake an assortment of yummy desserts and head to a public place, such as campus, to pass them out to everyone to sweeten their day.

Knitting for a Cause

If you know how to knit or crochet, use that talent to make something special with love in every stitch for someone in need.

Posting Kindness

Encourage others by placing sticky notes of compliments or inspiring quotes in popular and busy places.

Paying it Forward

Brighten the day of the person behind you in line by paying for whatever they are purchasing at the store.

Mother Nature’s Gifts

Be a helper to a neighbor and the environment by pulling weeds, planting flowers, or another yard work chore.

Be a Good Listener

Be someone that people can turn to when they need to vent or need advice by being a good listener to them.

Sharing a Loved Book

Share your favorite book with a friend or leave a copy of it in a public area for a stranger to find and enjoy. 

Simply Say Hello

Start by introducing yourself to a new person and then strike up a conversation with them.

Donate Your Profits

Find something you’re good at and pays well—then donate your earnings to a charity you care about.

Volunteer Your Time

Take a day out of your busy week to volunteer yourself for a charity or organization and do something to better your community.

Candy Machine Luck

Make children smile by leaving spare quarters in a candy or toy machine for them to find.

Give Flowers

Whether you buy or pick someone a bouquet of flowers, they’re an easy way to color someone’s day.

Cook a Meal

Surprise someone with a home-cooked meal that you make for them or with them.

Tutor Someone

Helping your friends understand the class material before a big test can save their grade and can help you understand the material, too.

Thank Your Driver

Saying thanks for the ride is simple but meaningful when they spend all day driving without much appreciation.

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.