Why doing something out of your comfort zone is the best decision you'll ever make

Posted -

Nothing great ever came from someone's comfort zone.

Be it an experience, a hobby, an emotion, or a relationship. In order to get something you've never had you have to do something you've never done. Which requires you to step out of that safety net and leap into something uncomfortable.

I used to live in the comfort zone. I did what I was told, never broke the rules and never tried anything new. Mostly because disappointing my parents terrified me, and it still does. At some point in my adolescence I met a person who did anything they wanted. They definitely broke the rules and they were my polar opposite.

For the first time in my life I questioned the rules and bent them, I started becoming the teenager I never allowed myself to be, because I was too afraid. I felt alive for the first time in a long time. I had all the confidence in the world; even after this person that flipped my world upside down was out of my life. They left me better off than how they found me.

As I got older I carried that spontaneity with me, until I met someone else who squashed it. After that person was out of my life I was left in a worse place than ever before.

Slowly, I got to where I am now, and I'm glad that I was given those hard experiences because I never would've moved across the country for school, I never would've met the amazing people I have met here and I would definitely never truly be in love with myself.

That "surprise" was the best gift I was ever given. I got my freedom back and was able to finally detach myself from the suffocation that is a comfort zone. Every unforgettable experience, good and bad, came from me doing something out of my comfort zone; and all of those experiences have taught me something about myself and the world.

So my advice to anyone is to do something uncomfortable or "crazy" once in a while. (Given that it is within the legality of the law). You might see that you'll change, and you might really love that.

About The Author

I love all things travel, fashion, beauty, music and pop culture.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login