This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

After much pestering from my close friends, I have officially started watching the infamous series, Sex and the City. I’ve never identified with or wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw. From her constant determination, style, class and elegance, I strive to be my very own and best Carrie Bradshaw. Though, there is one characteristic that I identify with Bradshaw – nothing phases her; she is resilient. As Bradshaw navigates her New York City playground and romantically engaging in her ‘sexcapades,’ I couldn’t help but wonder what my life would be like if I wrote a sex column asking and answering questions women are dying to know. Though I can’t personally write about my ‘sexcapades,’ (purely because I haven’t had any, not because they’re too wild to write about), I can analyze my ultimate Sex and the City moment: a dinner with my crush and his girlfriend.

Now my ex-crush, I sat for two and a half hours observing every handhold, longing gaze and snarky ‘I-Know-Him-Better-Than-You’ comments. She was from Missouri and talked diligently about country music, alcohol and knowing many frat boys. Every word that came out of her mouth made me grip my steering wheel a bit tighter as I drove faster and faster away from the city of Phoenix into the blistering desert towards his house. It wasn’t that I personally hated her, it was that I was now driving him and his girlfriend 45 minutes away so that they could both get a ride for her to meet his parents. I couldn’t help but feel defeated like I had been murdered in cold blood.

As the dinner continued to move on, I became so uncomfortable I wasn’t sure whether I should laugh or cry. I mocked his girlfriend in my head, didn’t make eye contact with him, and chewed slowly, swallowing so hard hoping that it would get rid of the lump in my throat. Finally, at six o’clock, I gave up and made up some pathetic excuse to jump into my car and speed quickly down the road.

She didn’t win, though. I saved myself from somebody who was stringing me along the whole time. I am not a second choice; I am the first. It takes a strong woman to walk away from that kind of situation with her head held high.

Which raises the question, what would Carrie Bradshaw do? (WWCBD).

Bradshaw would have walked away feeling fabulous and freer than ever. She would have gone to Barney’s to buy a new pair of shoes and called up her girlfriends to meet at the chicest bar in the city. Though I can’t afford Barney’s, (college student on a budget), and I can’t drink, (19, yay!), I did call up my girlfriends and I did walk away feeling like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Carrie Bradshaw once said, “So just love, make mistakes, and have wonderful times, but never second-guess who you are, where you have been, and, most importantly, where it is you are going.” I think these are words to live by because once you love yourself, you can accomplish anything you set your heart to.

The further I get into the series, the more I realize how much my friends and I live like the ultimate female squad in Sex and the City. Friends need to be by your side when you experience eating dinner with your crush’s girlfriend. In fact, good friends will make you forget you want to cry, and instead, will make you cry from laughter. 

Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.