Turn Your Dorm into a Study Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

With midterm season underway, life is just getting busier, and your dorm room is getting more and more unorganized. This definitely won’t help your GPA, so where do you turn? Look no further! We’ve compiled the best tips to make your dorm your personal study oasis.

1. If you need music to properly study, discuss it with your roommate first. You might prefer the smooth stylings of Jack Johnson, but she might adore heavy metal. This can disturb the peace for the both of you, so try to come to an agreement. Pick an artist or genre you both agree on, or just use headphones! If music while studying isn’t your style, but that’s how your roommate works, earplugs can be a girl’s best friend. Invest in a pair; you never know when they might come in handy!
2. Don’t sit on your bed while you study. This works for some, but most of us will end up falling asleep in our English notes. If you make yourself sit in a chair or on the floor, you’ll be far less likely to fall asleep, and you will therefore accomplish more!
3. Shine some light. You won’t accomplish much if you’re staring at your notebook in the dark, or even if you’re reading solely by a book lamp. If you and your roomie agree, keep the room bright! This will help keep you alert and focused. If your roommate goes to bed early, but you still need to study, a not-too-harshly-lit desk lamp is an excellent investment.
4. Two words: Binder dividers. Even if you don’t use a whole binder all of the time, binder dividers are a godsend for when it comes time to review. You can organize everything by notes, papers, past quizzes and exams, worksheets, handouts, et cetera. Keep your binders organized in an easy-to-access place so they will always be within reach while you’re studying. You’ll be glad you did this!
5. Even if your floor is a mess, keep your desk organized. Have a designated spot for textbooks, binders, notebooks, office supplies, cords, index cards, and everything else. Keeping everything tidy can be tedious, but when you’re trying to find your multi-colored highlighters at 2 in the morning, this will save you lots of time and frustration.

Most of all, just crack down and study. If Facebook/Tumblr/Twitter/YouTube is your preferred method of procrastination, give your computer to your roommate until you’re finished studying for chemistry so you won’t be distracted. The same goes for your phone and iPod: if it isn’t helping you study, ditch it for the time being. Good luck!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.