Taking photos, stealing hearts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

A hardworking Resident Assistant and part time photographer, Campus Cutie Sean Connolly spends his free time volunteering with college kids with developmental disabilities. Keep an eye out for him on the field this year, photographing our football team with Zona Zoo Crew!

Year: Junior

Major: Global studies & Spanish minor

Hometown: Flagstaff, Arizona

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Movie: Anchorman

Hobbies: Photography, traveling, outdoors activities, Young Life

Relationship Status: Single

What’s an interesting fact about you?

It’s ironic being a photographer, but I’m partially colorblind.

Do you have a favorite quote?

I don’t really have a favorite quote, but my senior quote in the yearbook was “Milk was a bad choice” … I’m lactose intolerant.

What’s your most embarrassing life story?

Last year, it was the first day of class and I got to class about two minutes late. The only open seat was in the very front of the classroom. It was a pretty big class and I arrived right as the professor was starting his lecture. As I sat down in my chair, I sat a little too far forward and my desk flipped forward and made the loudest noise ever. I ended up on the ground, but somehow I managed not to spill any of my coffee. I held my coffee mug up with a thumb up. My recovery got some applause from the class, but I was probably still remembered me as the guy that fell out of his chair the very first day of school.

What’s your favorite part of the U of A?

I love the school spirit because I came from a high school that had little to no school spirit. It’s such a huge change. I also love the sports.

What activities are you involved in on campus?

I work as a 2nd year RA in Graham-Greenlee and as a desk assistant in Arbol de la Vida. This year I will also be working as one of two photographers for Zona Zoo Crew. In my free time, I work with Project Focus and volunteer with Young Life Capernaum, programs that help kids with developmental disabilities transition into college.

How long have you been a photographer?

I really started getting interested in photography in middle school, which is when I bought my first DSLR camera. Since then, it has become one of the passions of my life.

More than a hobby, what has photography been for you in your life?

I don’t even know why I like photography so much. It’s just something that I’m drawn to! I feel like I’ve been given a gift with photography because it gives me a chance to take an event or a time and make a memory that can last forever.

What are you most looking forward to about being a part of Zona Zoo Crew?

I’m super excited to be capturing photos so that people can relive the fun and excitement of all of our games.

How has being involved in a program that works with kids with disabilities impacted your life?

I know it sounds cheesy but the kids literally inspire me everyday to work hard to achieve my goals. I’ve seen kids that normally never would have had the opportunity to come to college, show the world around them that all of our preconceived notions about people with disabilities are wrong. Young Life Capernaum has given me a whole new appreciation for my life because I see kids with disabilities that are so thankful and so happy with their lives.

What do you want to do with your degree in the future?

I’m hoping that my degree will open options with united nation, foreign affairs, international business or foreign aid. Ideally, I want to find a job that allows me to travel and help people.

What’s one thing on your bucket list?

Skydiving. Also, backpacking through Europe and South America.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

My goal is to be enjoying life, whether I’m pursuing photography, working internationally, or have a career as a fire fighter. If I can find an opportunity to be helping people I’ll be happy.

Visit SPC Photography (https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPC-Photography/417085281676797) for custom prints, iPhone cases, or to schedule a photo shoot!