This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Tucson, which was founded in 1775, is home to locals, students, business owners, entrepreneurs, leaders, and ghosts?

It’s Halloween season here at the University of Arizona, and Tucson is crawling with spooky stories of seasons past.

Believe it or not, Tucson is home to several haunted happenings, but some of the most famous, and eerie stories are resurfacing for Halloween season.

One reported haunted event takes place in the UA modern languages building on campus. prairieghosts.com, a website about ghost hunting, reported that the ghost of a woman with dark colored hair, who wears a shawl and a long skirt lingers around the halls of the building. It has been said that students have seen her peeking around the corners of the building before vanishing away.

prarieghosts.com says that “the woman was the victim of a terrible murder in the early 1900’s and now has returned to collect her earthly remains.”

Supposedly, she was killed and her body was dumped into a nearby well, which is now the women’s athletic field on campus. The Modern Language Building was built on that site. It is said that the ghost has been trying to recover the rest of her bones since construction workers disturbed her resting place.

“I’ve always felt a little creeped out in that building,” said Laura Miller, a freshman at the UA who has a class in the modern languages building. “It’s just so old and dark, I could definitely believe that a ghost lives in there.”

Another well-known haunted establishment is Hotel Congress in downtown Tucson. According to hauntedplaces.org, a website which documents historic haunted buildings, “there are apparently several ghosts who lay claim to the Congress.”

The story goes that there have been at least two suicides at the hotel, which has led to supernatural sightings in the rooms in which they took place, rooms 214 and 242.

It is said that these ghosts still linger around the hotel and guests have seen them sitting at the end of their beds!

If students are looking to uncover ghost experiences of their own this Halloween, they can sign up for the Tucson Ghost Tour. This tour is run by a ghost hunting company where customers explore downtown Tucson after the sun goes down, walking through the streets of Tucson while hearing all the haunted stories of the locations around them.

The tour covers at least 12 locations including the Fox Theater, the active spirits at La Cocina, as well as the Hotel Congress.

Tis the season to send shivers down your spine, take a risk and experience some spooky spirits this Halloween! 

Edited by: Meryl Engle

My name is Kristine and I'm a sophmore at the University of Arizona!