Gettin’ Jiggy With FASA and HAPI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

“Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down
and I liked to take a minute just sit right there and tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air!”
            Anyone who grew up in the 90s and was familiar with Will Smith’s earlier career can definitely finish the rest of this song without hesitation. Along with Smith’s notorious show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, the 90s was a period of history that many students at the University of Arizona can look back on and recall countless memories.
            Because the 90s were so special, the Filipino American Student Association (FASA) and the Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Club (HAPI) thought, “Why not celebrate this period of time dominated by Rugrats and Ring Pops?” Working as one, both clubs organized their first joint social of the year with 90s music, television shows, and popular candy of the time.
FASA and HAPI are one of the many clubs at the UA that offer students a chance to make new friends and learn more about a different culture. Members of these clubs participate in many hands-on activities such as preparing traditional foods, learning about the language, and being up to date with current events in the Philippines, Hawaii, and other Pacific islands.
            When asked why HAPI and FASA decided to do a joint social, a member of both clubs, Theo Salomon said, “I think the purpose of the social was to promote the clubs equally as well as for members of both clubs to get to know one another.” As most students grew up in the 90s, they are familiar with the many trends that were popular at the time, enabling members from both clubs to come together and celebrate their childhood.
            “The social was fun because we danced to 90s music, played charades, and watched old TV shows from the 90s,” said Steven Giang, a member of FASA and HAPI. “But to me, the best part of the social was the giant Pixie Sticks they had. Those were the best.”
Although HAPI and FASA are different, they are both similar clubs as they strive to promote cultural awareness as well as a comfortable environment for students to be themselves. Salomon explains why he is a member of both clubs as he said, “One of the main reason why Ijoined is because I felt comfortable with the other members of the clubs and I felt like I had similarcultural experiences with the others.”
            So if you are not Hawaiian or Filipino, are you not allowed to participate in HAPI and FASA events and meetings? Of course not! Both clubs are welcoming and accepting of all people. Anyone is more than welcome to be a part of FASA and HAPI just as long as they are willing to have a good time and meet plenty of new people. Giang said, “I’m nothing close to being Filipino or Hawaiian, and I feel as if they accept me as if I am.”
            If you want to make new friends and learn about another culture at the same time, then definitely consider “gettin’ jiggy” with FASA and HAPI at their next meeting!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.